Recommend a good 5.56 bolt action?

101stCurrahee

I know I'm looking for a lot in one factory package but can anyone think of a rifle that fits this bill, or a combination of parts for a build that will?

.223/5.56
MOA or better accuracy
Threaded barrel
Picatinny top hand guard for IR laser.
Budget around $1000

I'm looking to buy a coyote gun that I can set up for NV hunting as well. I'm tired of carrying 2 ARs and want to be able to shoot further more accurately, as well as practicing fundamentals for long range shooting at the range.

Ruger precisions look to fit the bill, but they stopped making them and are nearly impossible to find, especially with a hand guard to attach the IR laser.

Tikkas are SubMOA and Sub $1000, but I'd have to have the barrel threaded and couldn't attach my IR laser.

The Tikka Tac a1 is perfect but will cost close to $2,000.00. Ouch.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Maybe a combination of things staying around that budget line?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Quick Google search tells me the Howa HCR chassis rifle would be pretty close to what your wanting, ergos would be very similar also.

Looks like they make a mini chassis rifle that's threaded also.

Not everything you're looking for, but close. Just have to wait til Sept for them to arrive. I've got one on backorder and can't wait!

I have been looking at those too. The problem is needing a new chassis. If I have to do that I'll probably just get the regular T3X drop it in an x-ray chassis and have the barrel threaded.

after lots of reading I've become quite fond of the idea of a tac a1 in 223 but apparently they either don't make them here or don't import

Read this thread last night then low a behold I seen a Ruger PR in 5.56/223 on armslist in peoria IL if your wanting to go that way. Good luck.

Does it have a pic rail on top of the handguard? I'm trying to mount my IR laser to shoot with night vision so I don't have to carry two guns. If it wasn't for that this would be easy.

I know I'm looking for a lot in one factory package but can anyone think of a rifle that fits this bill, or a combination of parts for a build that will?

.223/5.56
MOA or better accuracy
Threaded barrel
Picatinny top hand guard for IR laser.
Budget around $1000

I'm looking to buy a coyote gun that I can set up for NV hunting as well. I'm tired of carrying 2 ARs and want to be able to shoot further more accurately, as well as practicing fundamentals for long range shooting at the range.

Ruger precisions look to fit the bill, but they stopped making them and are nearly impossible to find, especially with a hand guard to attach the IR laser.

Tikkas are SubMOA and Sub $1000, but I'd have to have the barrel threaded and couldn't attach my IR laser.

The Tikka Tac a1 is perfect but will cost close to $2,000.00. Ouch.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Maybe a combination of things staying around that budget line?

Thanks.
Savage 12VLP Varmint Series, Bolt Action, .223 Remington, 26" Barrel, 5+1 Rounds 1:7 twist runs around 949.54 sportsman warehouse I know it can be found other places but and come in a 1:9 twist as well. But i like heavier bullets.It's where I bought mine 26" heavy barrel the picture on the site was from another forum. You want a shooter in 223 bolt this is one. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2670046.

Last edited:
Mossberg MVPs are real nice. Chamber takes .223/5.56. I own one. shoots 1/2 MOA with handloads. Also takes AR mag! I put a Jard trigger on mine. Pretty awesome rifles for the price.
Ditto. I have one as well which is also a pretty good shooter. Got a load now 1/2 moa as well with 50grn nosler but varmints over varget

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.