Rebarreling a .257 WBY Question

skookum

I have a MK V stainless with a McMillan stick i Bought a few years ago that is not producing the groups i would like. It is a used rifle, with a stock barrel and i think its time for an upgrade.

My Question is which barrels are the best and which ones can i expect less out of? My McMillan custom 300WSM has a Shilen and it continues to impress me, I like the idea of PAC-Nor because they are more local to me but they also seem to be on the cheaper end of the scale and i want to make sure that this shouldn't be a red flag. My second question is the fatory barrel length is 26", should i stay with 26" or has anyone had any more/ less success with a a different length?

Side Question, can i use H1000 to reload 300 wsm? Since powder is so scarce i cant find RL17 or 4350 or any other powder for that matter, anywhere.

For .257 Wby, I'd stick with a 26" barrel, and you might even be able to get a new barrel straight from Weatherby for a reasonably price. Shilen, Krieger, Douglas, Rock Creek, all of them make excellent barrels. I like the looks of my Accumark factory barrel, so if I ever shoot it out, I'll just rebarrel with a factory Wby barrel, and have my smith fit everything up perfectly.

Another important question is who's reamer will you use? I find the specs on the reamer an important part of rebarreling. A friend and I have finally moved away from having the gunsmithing shop just use the reamer they have on hand.

Dan and I put together a repeatable package. Five 257 weatherbys were chambered for two different actions with 3 groove lilja SS barrels. Two barrels were fluted #5s and three were #3 non fluted. ALL shot the 115 Berger VLDs using RL-25 with fantastic accuracy. We strongly feel the reason is the reamer's specs. We talked to Dave Kiff and sent in a dummy to get our reamer.

If you PM me I can give you the name it is under at Pacific Tool and Gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.