New Member, Rebarreling a Short Mag Question

Doughtdawg

Hey Guys
Like the Title states, I'm a new member. I live in Maine and currently have a Winchester Mod 70 .270 WSM. I have tried a couple different factory ammos and I couldn't get it to group better than about 2" at 100 Yards. I'm a pretty decent shot, I've got a LR308 that I can shoot .375" groups with. I'm going to rebarrel to either a 300 WSM or 7WSM. Originally I was all for the 300 for the fact that I have a 300 WM and a 308 I could just have a bunch of .30 cal bullets. But there's a lot of debate on which is better. I know it's a close call, ballistacally they flip flop back and fourth pretty close.

My main use would be for white tail deer out to realistically probably 500 yards max, but I would like to have the capability to shoot 1000 Yards (yes, I know they both will work). And also potentially used for an elk hunt or two, and hopefully a Moose Hunt. My question is, what is the barrel life on the 7WSM vs 300 WSM. I have seen numerous posts stating that the life will be a lot shorter on the 7, but how much shorter?

Also, I know everyone has their favorite gunsmith, but most big names are geared for the rem 700. I have been talking to Gap, but I was just curious of who else is out there. Looking for truing and rebarreling. Nothing fancy, just accurate, .5 MOA would be nice. I will also be gearing up for reloading this winter too. Thanks in advance. This is a great site!

For your intended use the 270 wsm with a 1 in 9 twist, and the 165 matrix vld is hard to beat... I would re barrel back to 270wsm with a quality barrel, I prefer brux... Barrel life is close to the 7 wsm but with proper cleaning and care a hunting rig could last a lifetime... JMO

The accuracy needed to win at 1000 yard benchrest fell off in a 7WSM at about 500 rounds. The 300WSM seems to go to 1000 plus rounds. When I broke the record I had 1100 rounds through my 300WSM. Matt

Just wondering...how's the crown and bedding on your current barrel? You think you could lap your barrel and lugs? Anybody with thoughts please chime in.

Hi Doughtdawg,

Do you reload? From your post I get the idea that you don't. Maybe that would be a route to take. I reload and used to try out factory ammo first in a new rifle. Last couple times II could not get factory ammo to shoot well at all and it was frustrating. So now I never buy factory ammo to try, I just start reloading for it. I have a 300 WSM and it was one of the problem childs. It grouped about like your 270 WSM. Now that I reload for it, it shoots very very well.

So the short of it is, you might want to start reloading for it and see if that's a solution. If not after your rebarrel, you will have all the tools to create ammo for the new barrel.

I don't think I would make a 300 WSM out of it, if you already have a good working 300 WM. That is way to much overlap.

Welcome Doug.

Before throwing your hands up in frustration and spending a pretty fair chunk of change unnecessarily why don't you tell us about your set up.

We're pretty good at diagnosing problems for others because our members here have many thousands of hours and tens of thousands of rounds in the field.

What scope are you using?

How is it mounted.

Is the barrel completely free floated?

Have you checked to ensure the action screws are not loose? Have you torqued them down evenly?

Is this particular model factory bedded? Just the action bedded or does it have pillars installed?

Whole lot to do here before we decide it's time to spend a pretty good chunk of change..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.