Rebarreling 25-06...8mm Rem. Mag

Idaho Shooter

Hello all,

I have two remington BDLs that I have been shooting from way back in the early 80s (2506/8mm mag). These were not just the annual big game hunting rifles they were both used for everything. I remember one rock chuck hunting trip where the barrels on both of them had gotten so hot I couldn't even hold the wooden forend. Lets not forget the rabbits, ground squrrels, etc...good times.

So here I am thinking about rebarreling them both but should I be considering a different caliber casing combination? Thus the question, if you were faced with the same situation are there other cartidges you would rebarrel for...and yes I have lots of brass and dies for both calibers but may be there is something out there worth the change.

Thanks
Greg

You could rebarrel the 8mm to 338 ultra and have a Much better bullet selection and more performance. The 25-06 I would probably just get a new 25-06 barrel.

If you like the 8mm and 25-06 I would re barrel to them or if you want something new one of the 338 for your larger game and stick with the 25-06 for the smaller big game

I would consider changing the 8mm to ether a 300 RUM or a 338 RUM . Both are better
choices because of bullets and the trajectory of the 300 RUM is much better and has
less recoil than the 8mm.

As far as the 25/06 I would probably do as others have suggested and just re barrel it.

J E CUSTOM

IMHO, I would also do a 300 or 338RUM, maybe even look at a 338Edge, with the 8MM but I would rebarrel your 25-06 to a 6.5-06. That's just me though.

Hello all,

Thank you for the advice your suggestions are right in line with my thoughts. I will use them for big game this fall and then make a final decision.

Thanks again
Greg

IMHO, I would also do a 300 or 338RUM, maybe even look at a 338Edge, with the 8MM but I would rebarrel your 25-06 to a 6.5-06. That's just me though.
I rebarreeld a late 80s 25-06 to a 6.5x55 Swede and later to a 6.5-06
recently I built a 6.5/257 Roberts Ackley 40° remake barrel for it.
The 25-06 magazine works great with both the 6.5-06 and the roberts.

Last edited: