Rebarreling 25-06...8mm Rem. Mag

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Idaho Shooter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Idaho Shooter

Idaho Shooter Member

Hello all,

I have two remington BDLs that I have been shooting from way back in the early 80s (2506/8mm mag). These were not just the annual big game hunting rifles they were both used for everything. I remember one rock chuck hunting trip where the barrels on both of them had gotten so hot I couldn't even hold the wooden forend. Lets not forget the rabbits, ground squrrels, etc...good times.

So here I am thinking about rebarreling them both but should I be considering a different caliber casing combination? Thus the question, if you were faced with the same situation are there other cartidges you would rebarrel for...and yes I have lots of brass and dies for both calibers but may be there is something out there worth the change.

Thanks
    Greg

2. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

You could rebarrel the 8mm to 338 ultra and have a Much better bullet selection and more performance. The 25-06 I would probably just get a new 25-06 barrel.

3. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

If you like the 8mm and 25-06 I would re barrel to them or if you want something new one of the 338 for your larger game and stick with the 25-06 for the smaller big game

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I would consider changing the 8mm to ether a 300 RUM or a 338 RUM . Both are better
    choices because of bullets and the trajectory of the 300 RUM is much better and has
    less recoil than the 8mm.

As far as the 25/06 I would probably do as others have suggested and just re barrel it.

J E CUSTOM

5. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

IMHO, I would also do a 300 or 338RUM, maybe even look at a 338Edge, with the 8MM but I would rebarrel your 25-06 to a 6.5-06. That's just me though.

6. Idaho Shooter

Idaho Shooter Member

Hello all,

Thank you for the advice your suggestions are right in line with my thoughts. I will use them for big game this fall and then make a final decision.

Thanks again
    Greg