Rebarreling/rechambering a 7 rem mag to 7mm dakota?

One question..... Does it have the case capacity of the Dakota? Yes or no....
That is not an applicable question. What velocity do you want with your favorite 7mm bullets. I will not advise you to put 15 to 20 % more powder weight in a case for 50 to 100 fps. If you want a barrel burner get a RUM or Allen Magnum, and the Allen Magnum is more efficient than other cases with better velocity. If you are building a rifle, you have to have goals of velocity at distance with energy requirements for your needs.
I turned my Rem 700 7rm to a 28 Nosler , only very slight opening of the feed rails. Just a couple of thousandths.
BINGO ! You have one answer to the Oddball proprietary 7mm Dackota case. But gentlemen, there are other other cases that perform exactly like that case with more efficiency. The Dakota is a better designed case than the 28 Nosler. I would also say that the 7mm Blaser Magnum will go neck and neck with The 7mm Weatherby without the higher pressure. All this information is fruitless, unless you know the COAL for your magazine. That is how you choose a cartridge with your favorite bullet lengths.

7STW, 7-.300WM, 28 Nosler, 7RUM.
No doubt the 28 Nosler will grain per grain charge outperform the other three with a belt on two of them and the ungodly powder charge of the RUM, but you are dealing with a cartridge that consumes a lot of powder without the dividend of efficiency with it's velocity. I am prejudiced anyways, I like 1.15 neck length to caliber width (Litz taught ) and depending upon the type of action, a 30° or 35° shoulder. Cartridge case life and barrel life enhancement is more important to me than high pressure and 50- 80 fps.

I was going to build a 7mm Dakota but my barrel is being rechambered to 28 nosler after seeing how hard it was to find brass for the Dakota I have sold everything but the go and no go gauges
Went 28 nosler but cause u can push it faster if needed or load low

I looked at the 7 Dakota but it sounds like the super expensive brass is made by Hornady, forget it for that price..
I'm really looking hard at the 7 Blaser Mag, the more I research it the more it sounds like the perfect balance between performance and barrel life, nice long necks too.

I looked at the 7 Dakota but it sounds like the super expensive brass is made by Hornady, forget it for that price..
I'm really looking hard at the 7 Blaser Mag, the more I research it the more it sounds like the perfect balance between performance and barrel life, nice long necks too.
Norma Brass, Sir. 7mm LRM is Hornady

One question..... Does it have the case capacity of the Dakota? Yes or no....
No, it doesn't; but then it is very efficient too. In a 26" barrel it doesn't give up much to any case, until you go to the 195 EOL and not much their. You will have dramatic velocity change with 28-30" barrels with a 28 Nosler as that is where the bigger case might be worth the powder. There is quite a difference in recoil though, and I wouldn't recommend a heavily charged hunting rifle for follow-up shots. 24-26" barrels are the sweet spot for the 7mm Blaser Magnum and it will stay transonic to about 1550 yds and go sub-sonic at about 1800+ yds depending upon altitude, etc. I have studied all of the Commercial Cartridges and quite a few Wildcats, and I would say it is one of the best performers for a 3.340" COAL SAAMI length magazine. You can wind it up to 3150 fps with 180 Hybrids, but you definitely will diminish your barrel life to a 800-1200 round count of a 28 Nosler. There is something to be said for Don Allen's Dakota Magnums; but he hurt everyone by keeping it a proprietary cartridge case. I think if he was still alive, he would want everyone to have it. It is a much better design than the 28 Nosler in a Long Magnum Action Magazine, but it doesn't have the commonality of the Rebated Rimless Jeffrey RUM, or SAUM or WSM. The Dakota Model 76 will always have a place, but expensive Dakota Brass will be rare as nobody wants to buy it, especially if Hornady has the contract. Good luck, Gentlemen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.