Rechamber 7mm Rem Mag to STW

JakeWes

I have several new old stock 7mm rem mag take-off barrels. I have seen that many people back in the 90s would simply run an STW reamer in the chamber and call it a day. Is it just taking a 7mm STW finishing reamer and running it in the old chamber?

Yes that will work. Assuming you have enough mag length to work and you might have to open up the feed rails. However unless you are doing the work yourself it is not worth it in dollars.
Quality of barrel vs labor will kill you on a deal like that. First most gunsmiths don't like to rechamber a barrel because it can be hard on reamers to go into a old chamber with carbon deposits. And he don't want to be responsible for the accuracy of a old barrel.
If you don't already have the brass I would source that first before chambering a barrel it can be quiet challenging to find. I do have a set of dies if you need them but sold all my 7STW brass and ammo,

That's how my smith did my 700/7mag back in the day and he never mentioned opening the rails , call smith's and talk it up ,brass can be made from 8 mm Remington magnum, 300 H&H , 300weatherby brass , it's a fantastic round , cheers.

Yes that will work. Assuming you have enough mag length to work and you might have to open up the feed rails. However unless you are doing the work yourself it is not worth it in dollars.
Quality of barrel vs labor will kill you on a deal like that. First most gunsmiths don't like to rechamber a barrel because it can be hard on reamers to go into a old chamber with carbon deposits. And he don't want to be responsible for the accuracy of a old barrel.
If you don't already have the brass I would source that first before chambering a barrel it can be quiet challenging to find. I do have a set of dies if you need them but sold all my 7STW brass and ammo,
I am well versed in the STW, the reason why I have several new take-off 7mm rem mag barrels is that I replaced them with STW barrels :)

Last edited:
I have several new old stock 7mm rem mag take-off barrels. I have seen that many people back in the 90s would simply run an STW reamer in the chamber and call it a day. Is it just taking a 7mm STW finishing reamer and running it in the old chamber?
That's exactly how I made mine, didn't need to setback the barrel or anything, just indexed off the bore centreline. The stamping lettering does not match when tightened, but seeing as though the rifle is a switch barrel, it makes no difference.

Cheers.
Here she is.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 49