rebarreling

huntwithme

I have a rem classic in 22/250 and the barrel is getting shot out. I was wondering if you could rebarrel it in either a 243 ackley or a 6.5 creedmore. could you just rebore it insteat or better just get a new barrel. will they fit in the action.
thanks

Not often do we all agree on things but I'll go out on a limb and say everyone will recommend you purchase a new barrel.

Yes you can rebarrel that action in either of those two calibers.

You will find it difficult to find a smith who will recommend reboring. Of course it can be done. And then most recommend cyro freezing the barrel to remove stress. Cheaper to replace with a new barrel.

after carefull contemplating and arm twisting I decided not to buy a new rifle and have my rem rebarreled to a brux 26" barrel in 6mm creedmore. what would be a good twist using 90 to 105 grn bullets
thankd

A 1-8 twist will stabilize up to a 105g bullet. If you think you might use a 115g I'd recommend a 1-7.5 twist.

Just a thought...:)

The original rifle is a Rem. 700 in .22-250 which originally came with 1:14" twist rate. I don't see any statement of intent to use this as a target rifle so the suggested fast twist might not be necessary if this were to be used as a hunting rifle where Spitzer boattails or Nosler Partitions are used in those weights. The 6mm Creedmoor produces enough velocity to stabilize 100-grain hunting style bullets in 1:10" or if necessary a 1:9" twist rate.

Now if the OP decides to use the Berger VLD Hunting bullets then the faster twists will apply.

Regards.

I would recommend a 1:7

With all that powder, i would be trying to push the heaviest bullet possible. The current heavyweights in 6mm are requiring 1:7-1:7.5 for a 1.4-1.5 sg.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.