rebarreling .308

foreign

i have a remington 700 .308 and am starting to think of shooting to greater distances on deer sized animals. i was wondering what the best option was in caliber to rebarrel too. i was thinking 7mm wsm since the bc of the 162 sst or amax is so much better than the .30 projectiles. or would i be better of to just buy a sendero. theres one for sale on trademe (ebay) here in 300 wm.
ps is 7wsm even possible on the short action

Last edited:
The Rem700 bolt face is not so easy to change, and you may be better off buying a different rifle.

Your 308 bolt face can be interchangeable and your magazine are also interchangeable with; 22-250, 243Win, 250Sav, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, 338 Federal, and 358 Win.

I have 308 and 300WM reamers, and I can tell you that the animal seldom knows which one hit him.

The rem 700 bolt is easy to open up to accepts magnum calibres, however once changed that is it, not like the savages where you can change the bolt face ( i understand).

Stu.

I have opened a VZ24 Mauser bolt face to 300 Win Mag.
I have opened a 91/30 Mosin bolt face to 45/70.

I own a Rem700 22-250.
I looked at the bolt face, and maybe out of ignorance, it did not look easy to me.

The Rem 700 bolt face is easly opened up , you drill out the extractor rivit , chuck it up in a fixture and index off the bolt body , then use a boring bar and open the bolt face slightly. You will either need to cut another groove for the magnum extractor to be fitted or a cut on the side for a Sako extractor.

Yes the SA Rem 700 can be built into a 7mmWSM but you will be limited to the OAL so seating a long VLD bullet out far in the case with be limited to single shot feeding.

A 260 shooting a 140 gr Berger VLD at 2800fps will shoot as flat or flatter than a 300 win mag with a 190gr Match King.
Like wise with the 7-08 or the 7-08 Ackley improved shooting a 165 or 180 class VLD bullet.

You might consider a .284 Winchester using Lapua 6.5 X .284 brass expanded to .284. It shoots almost as flat as a 66.5 X .284 and now has the Berger bullets for long range.
Rustystud

Look at a straight .284 Winchester. It was developed to be shot in a short action. It is easy to form 6.5 X .284 Lapua brass back to .284 wit a tapered expamder. You can resize with Redding S typ bushing dies using a .312 bushing. Have it chambered with a .3166 neck OD. It uses a standars bolt face in a short action. Great round out to 1000 yards.
Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.