Rebarrel my SA or go LA with 7mm WSM

HoytFlinger

I currently have a Win Mod 70 CRF chambered in 7 WSM. I am either going to have it rebarreled or go with a Rem 700 long action and have it fitted with an Obermeyer barrel chambered in 7 WSM.

I am going to have it throated for 180 VLDs. Which would you do, rebarrel current short action or go with the Rem 700 long action for this 7 WSM?

That all depends on how you shoot. If you are looking for a tac type rifle you'll need a long action to be able to feed from the mag. If you mainly shoot targets or hunting then the short action will do fine. My SAUM is built on a Surgeon short action single shot and it works great for hunting. Besides, if a shot misses then the conditions need to be re-read before a second shot is taken. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all.

FWIW, i build all my rifles on long actions (rem 700's) I like the ability to load to any COAL and after I find a load the rifle likes, I machine a spacer that will fit behind the short action follower that has been machined to proper length, this allows me to feed from mag.

I have built a couple WSM on Win actions and have never had a problem with crowding like I do in Rem 700s. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the Win has a little longer available COAL.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards long action. I don't want to be hampered by COAL. It will mainly be for hunting, but I want to have the capability of some real long range work.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.