Realistic 7saum info

Threejs

How realistic is a 7saum for an average shooter? I am totally intrigued by the caliber. I would only shoot about 3 boxes a year and won't always have time to reload. I am looking at a 22" barrel. What velocities can I realistically expect from 160 accubonds?

Thanks everyone
JD

Funny you should ask....
I am just getting out of 7 saum. My dies are for sale on ebay.

160 AB in a 7 saum... 57.4 Hunter got me 2973 from a 24.5 inch barrel.
I think your 22 inch barrel will get similar results.

I found 7 saum to be a very accurate cartridge, 3 holes cutting paper at 100 yards.
And easier to load at the bench than wsm.

Interested in a used 8.5 twist 7 saum barrel?

I think you could expect 2850 - close to 3000 depending on powder.
Great bullet in my saum, really puts deer on the ground. They aren't so easy to find in the UK and very pricey so I moved to 168grn vlds.

I think you could expect 2850 - close to 3000 depending on powder.
Great bullet in my saum, really puts deer on the ground. They aren't so easy to find in the UK and very pricey so I moved to 168grn vlds.

Are you running this in a short action? I have a rem 700 s/a thats been modified to accept the Wyatt length box and wondering if i would have any issues seating the 168vlds?

Are you running this in a short action? I have a rem 700 s/a thats been modified to accept the Wyatt length box and wondering if i would have any issues seating the 168vlds?

Yes mine is a short action Borden.

I can't see why you would have any problems with an extended box as long as you don't intend shooting 180grn.
You might need to file the feed ramp if you are going to seat very long but then again your rifle might end up shooting better with the VLD's seated deeper than you think.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.