Realistic 7Mag velocity.?

Jake in NC

.. Hey guys.. The 7Mag with the 162gr AMax/SST's is really working out nicely.. I've pretty much settled in at a nice and easy 3075fps with them and an excellent ES.. But a couple of days ago I was thumbing thru PO Ackley's book and ran up on the predecessor to the 7Mag that was reported to be exactly the same dimensions.. But reported velocities with 160gr bullets was in the 3300fps range.. I try not to be a velocity junkie but this seems like a pretty wide discrepency.. What kindof real-world, non-hazardous velocities are you all getting.?? Thanks.. d:^) JiNC

Ref: 26" Sendero, Win brass, H4831sc, moly..

Jake--
Alot of PO Ackleys work was based on speculation. Many of his loads were not actually chronographed, but estimated. Be happy with your 3075 fps, sounds like you're right on the money...

You have to take EVERYTHING Ackley wrote and spoke with more than a grain of salt!

He and Keith became famous story tellers because they told famous stories.

Ackley, along with his other pronouncements, also suggested that the only caliber really needed to hunt sheep, goat and bear was .172!

Jake,
My Rem700 with 24" barrel shot the 162's at 3025fps, sounds like your right where you should be w/26" barrel.
Wayne

go over 3000 fps awith 162 gr in 24 or 26 inch is very difficult without hight pressure , only way to reach 3100 and little more is to use a 28 or or a 30 inch but 3300 and 162 with only 7 REM MAG capacity that
grin.gif
grin.gif

velocity measurement was a problem before accurate system and adfordable system are easy to get , even now only average velocity on long string enought can be use as serious data , dont forget that an instrument display is not the TRUE

And you need to check calibration before ; if a commum error is 2% on display value ( summ of error on electronic/optical low cost system ) that make 60 fps ( +/- 30 fps ) on 3000 fps that not to bad to get amazing false velocity .

good shooting

DANTEC

..Thanks fellas..!! I was just kindof curious.. I'm happy with the velocity I'm getting and don't really feel the need for anymore but if it was truly that much of a difference I thought some more load development was in order.. At the range I loaded'em up till I started getting some pressure signs and then backed down a bit.. Cases are maintaining well and I still haven't figured out what the problem is s'posed to be with belted cases..( this is my first belted cartridge) I can use my collet dies up till the 5th or 6th loading and then I start full length sizing with properly adjusted dies.. ES's are in the teens shooting well below MOA.. What's not to like.?
..Anyhow, thanks for the info.!! d:^) JiNC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.