Is 208amax@2900fps realistic for a 300wsm

Will a rum reamer clean up a wsm chamber? I just micked a few cases and there is a small difference but my rum cases are neck sized and my wsm cases are FL.

The rum will not clean up a WSM chamber....do not ask how I know. A 30/338 improved will clean up a WSM chamber.

No, not safely. 2800+ with a good accurate safe load. That is where the ones I worked with hit. This is with factory barrels. With a long match barrel sure you may get 2900 fps.

QL predicts that with a 26 inch barrel and a very long throat you can get 2900 within CIP pressures. With a standard throat, you would be right.

eddybo, thanks very much for the QL predictions, it's very much appreciated mate and thanks to all the other blokes for your help and sharing your experience,i think the wsm will get me close to what i want.

Been pushing the 190VLD at 3000fps with RL22 thru a factory 24" barrel for years now. I bet a 208 at 2900fps thru your tube will be no sweat.

I have been wanting to play with the 208 in my 300wsm for a while now but I have a 26" 1-12 shilen match select. After keeping up with this thread I thought I would go ahead and do a work up. I started this time with nosler cases f210m primers and h4831sc. I do have a little longer throat in my rifle. I set em .005 off the lands and loaded 67, 67.5, 68, 68.5. The 68 and 68.5 started to slightly flatten primers but at 68 I ran out of velocity gains. 67 gr went into .4 @ 200 and was running 2870. Maybe its just my barrel but I have noticed most guys get the best accuracy out of the 208's right around 2850. The 67.5 gr load hit 2926 av.. The 68gr load was the same and 68.5 was slightly less. For the next range trip I loaded 67.0 set touching the lands and then 67.1-67.3 at .005 off but the accuracy just wasn't there. The 67 gr in the lands was even more accurate though. I was really impressed overall. I half expected some of these bullets to hit the target sideways. I am going to try a couple of loads right around 2850 just to see if they will tighten up any more and then try them @ 1000. So after all this rambling I guess I can tell you yes you can hit 2900 easily but I am betting you find your best accuracy at slightly lower velocities. I will add that in the past I have loaded with 215m primers but after reading a lot of benchrest loads no one loads the mag primers. I have tried the 210's in some other loads and the velocity spreads are a good bit lower. The velocity differences between the two really weren't worth mentioning. The last trip to the range was 14 degrees here and I had no problems. I can also tell you there is a big difference between the impacts of 208 and the 178's. You have no problem seeing where that 208 impacts. I hope these work for me way out there as these will absolutely flatten a whitetail.

Last edited:
I had a 300 WSM (standard throat & 26"SS Benchmark barrel)and using H4350 and CCI250 primers I was getting the 208 Amax to fly around 2830fps. I would have to check, but I thought I was using 61grns for that velocity. I didnt have pressure signs either, I think that I could have got closer to the 2900 fps mark, but the load was wicked accurate at that charge.

I think maybe with a different powder, and longer throat 2900fps should not be too much of a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts