Realistic MVs for .300WSM, .300WM

Great info, guys! Thanks for the help thus far. Now for the next part... :rolleyes:

I've seen some stuff about the .300WSM being more limited in bullet weight, primarily because (factory) rifles chambered in it tend to have short magazines and the heaver (and longer) for caliber bullets have to be seated too deeply as a result. Any truth to that in your experience? Can you load to the lands with mag-length rounds in either caliber?

Thanks,

Monte

Milanuk-With the big bullets in the 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag you probably can't get into the lands seated to mag length. Probably more likely to be able to with the Win Mag.

i load my WSM with 208 amax's to 3.005" and they will fit the in mag box (just barely but they fit) my buddy shoots his at 3.0" and he had to get an extended box mag for is remington 700. oh mine is a model 70

17 sounds like it may be the ticket. Been getting 3120 or so out of 185s with 71.5 grains of RL19 from my FN spr with 24 inch bbl. getting around 5 reloads out of win brass. The most crazy thing is a friend of mine has a 3006 built by patriotarms, 26 inch pipe with 10 twist. He is doing around 3100 fps with 180 and lapua brass, this is documented and all brass is reloadable. Just amazes me that my 300 wby is only 3300 with 180s with much more powder.

Great info, guys! Thanks for the help thus far. Now for the next part... :rolleyes:

I've seen some stuff about the .300WSM being more limited in bullet weight, primarily because (factory) rifles chambered in it tend to have short magazines and the heaver (and longer) for caliber bullets have to be seated too deeply as a result. Any truth to that in your experience? Can you load to the lands with mag-length rounds in either caliber?

Thanks,

Monte

It's not really the bullet weight that limits your seating depth, it's the shape of the ogive of the bullet and the length and shape of your throat. To load the 210 Bergers to the lands in my Finnlight, the bullets bearing surface only cathes 2/3rds of the neck wall. and it is way too long to for the mag. If I was going to do a 300 WSM build, I would do it in a standard legnth action. The WSM is capable of launching a 210 gr bullet at a good velocity (2935 in my rfile) if it isn't seated too deeply and taking up case space.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.