Real world velocity in 300WM and 28" barrel

Ksmirk

Afternoon fella's! 3 weeks ago I thought this would be a simple question but with all the digging I've done it seems there are so many different things going on I can't get a good baseline for an answer so just thought I'd ask and see if anyone would be willing to offer a touch of help.

What information I've been searching for is what kind of velocity from a 300WM with say 210SMK or 215 Berger bullets and a 28" barrel? I have a mess of Retumbo powder so thought I'd use that when I get things all screwed together but I've got some time before things start showing up.

Reason I ask is that the 28 Nosler koolaid tastes pretty good! but running numbers on guessed velocities of the 2 there isn't a mess of difference when it comes to come up's on the scope turret and the 300WM would be much more kind to my wallet!

Guys I appreciate any info you can share and have an awesome day! Later,

Kirk

Afternoon fella's! 3 weeks ago I thought this would be a simple question but with all the digging I've done it seems there are so many different things going on I can't get a good baseline for an answer so just thought I'd ask and see if anyone would be willing to offer a touch of help.

What information I've been searching for is what kind of velocity from a 300WM with say 210SMK or 215 Berger bullets and a 28" barrel? I have a mess of Retumbo powder so thought I'd use that when I get things all screwed together but I've got some time before things start showing up.

Reason I ask is that the 28 Nosler koolaid tastes pretty good! but running numbers on guessed velocities of the 2 there isn't a mess of difference when it comes to come up's on the scope turret and the 300WM would be much more kind to my wallet!

Guys I appreciate any info you can share and have an awesome day! Later,

Kirk
There are monster thread on the 300 WM and 215 Berger on here. Google 300 WM, 215 berger and Broz and it will pull the threads. Search function here isn't as efficient.

Yea it seems most of those posts ends up being about how much more velocity I'm getting from my 26" or 24" or I'm getting XXXX from the 208 or why not shoot the 220's so I'm more looking for more specific info other than the my pecker is bigger than yours that I've run into on most of those posts. Later,

Kirk

Yea it seems most of those posts ends up being about how much more velocity I'm getting from my 26" or 24" or I'm getting XXXX from the 208 or why not shoot the 220's so I'm more looking for more specific info other than the my pecker is bigger than yours that I've run into on most of those posts. Later,

Kirk

Ha ha, I hear that. I wouldn't mind hearing about some plain 'ole vanilla velocities from from folks who are digg'in a steady Freddy rather than a hot rod.

If I remember right, I was shoot'in 200 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters. Tried H-1000. Accuracy really didn't come in until pressure was dangerously high. Whoops! Switched to RL-22. Accuracy was fair and was getting just over 2900 fps with a 26" Shilen barrel. My experience is that you get about 20 to 25 fps per inch of barrel length, soooo.

For some reason, belted magnums fascinate me but I don't seem to have a lot of luck with them in terms of stumbling onto some crazy good shooting magnum something or other. It's kinda hard for me to find a load that does anything, anywhere, all the time. Maybe it's just me.

28 Nosler... the problem with the latest and greatest is that nobody supports it. You sink all this time and money into something and come to find out, it's like starlets with collagen injected lips. Public opinion has rejected you, so good luck buying dies and grass. My opinion... if you have collagen injected lips but can't even cook a roast without ruining it... your dead to me.

I'd go with the one that performs, first time, every time. There's no joy in Wishville.

I get roughly 2950 fps with 208 Amax's and H1000 from a 28" Krieger.
From what I read, I'm pretty sure you could get more speed with retumbo.
Hope this helps.
Erik

My Savage in 300 WM wears a McGowen 28" tube that is also suppressed. My velocity is 2975fps with the 215 Bergers after doing ballistic calibrations to 1200 yards.

Last edited:
Thank ya fella's! I was GUESSING somewhere around the 3K range give or take 50fps maybe I should shoot for 2900 and hope for the best lol either way I'm thinking the WM would be the best choice for what I'm wanting to do plus just spoke to my little brother and he's decided to do the 300WM so hey maybe I can split the reamer cost with him :) Later,

Kirk

Reamer cost aside, if you can't find brass it's just sittin.
Erik

That applies to any chambering!

I still see .300 WM brass, mostly Winchesters, in my LGS. If you look hard enough, you'll see them online too, depending on name brand, they might have to be back-ordered, i.e., http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1311343984/norma-reloading-brass-300-winchester-magnum

Hornady Reloading Brass 300 Winchester Mag Box of 50

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 300 Winchester Mag Box of 50

https://www.natchezss.com/nosler-custom-unprimed-brass-cartridge-cases-50-count-107100.html

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....-winchester-mag-unprimed-rifle-brass-50-count

When you find the brand of brass that best works for you, get enough for the life of your barrel and then some.

Reamer cost aside, if you can't find brass it's just sittin.
Erik

I'm guessing your talking about the 28 Nosler?

I built a 7WSM pistol back when it came out and it was a very fun project but realized after awhile that brass was a touch of a pain to locate! looking it seems it still isn't as easy to come across as the 300WM.

So in a nutshell I've been looking for real world results from folks shooting the 300WM with a 28" tube, so far been using the 210SMK as the final deciding factor on if a .284 or .308 dia. tube will be screwed on. There are several good choices out there but most don't have the backing as for information and ease as the 300WM and truth I don't have the time to tinker with a wildcat these days.

Fella's I appreciate the input! gives me a bit more info to confuse myself with :D Later,

Kirk

Max load of H-1000 produces 3035 with a 215 Berger in WW , RP and Lapua Brass in my 300 win mag with a 28" Broughton 5C. ES in the low teens. FED, GM 215M primer.

Have set up several 26" 300 win mags with 215 Bergers/H1000 at 2950 to 2990 fps.

Figure 20 to 25 fps per inch of barrel between 22" and 30" as a general rule.

All this data is at 4100' asl over an Oehler 35 or a Magneto speed and drops documented to 1 mile plus.

Jeff

PS: My 28" 300 win ran the 210 Berger Hunting VLD's at 2995 with a grain more H-1000 than the 215 Berher load at 3035. I credit that to the shorter bearing surface of the 215 Hybrid.

Last edited:
I'm guessing your talking about the 28 Nosler?

I built a 7WSM pistol back when it came out and it was a very fun project but realized after awhile that brass was a touch of a pain to locate! looking it seems it still isn't as easy to come across as the 300WM.

So in a nutshell I've been looking for real world results from folks shooting the 300WM with a 28" tube, so far been using the 210SMK as the final deciding factor on if a .284 or .308 dia. tube will be screwed on. There are several good choices out there but most don't have the backing as for information and ease as the 300WM and truth I don't have the time to tinker with a wildcat these days.

Fella's I appreciate the input! gives me a bit more info to confuse myself with :D Later,

Kirk

I did mean the 28 Nosler. Sorry for not being clear on that.
Erik

Max load of H-1000 produces 3035 with a 215 Berger in WW , RP and Lapua Brass in my 300 win mag with a 28" Broughton 5C. ES in the low teens. FED, GM 215M primer.

Have set up several 26" 300 win mags with 215 Bergers/H1000 at 2950 to 2990 fps.

Figure 20 to 25 fps per inch of barrel between 22" and 30" as a general rule.

All this data is at 4100' asl over an Oehler 35 or a Magneto speed and drops documented to 1 mile plus.

Jeff

PS: My 28" 300 win ran the 210 Berger Hunting VLD's at 2995 with a grain more H-1000 than the 215 Berher load at 3035. I credit that to the shorter bearing surface of the 215 Hybrid.

That really gives me warm fuzzies! my little brother and I are building a couple and so far the rifles we have built I think this is the only caliber we have agreed on lol The Sierra bullets are easier to come by in our area but the reading I've been doing the 215 and 230 Berger's when I get this thing together I may have to order a few and just give them a go! the H1000 seems to be the ticket but I'm hoping to burn up the 7# of Retumbo I have :) believe it or not my last 243 loved that powder! not a screamer but dang it took a long time to heat up the barrel.

I appreciate the info! Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.