Real World Load Data, 264 WM

youngbuck

Picking up a newly barreled rifle from my smith. 1 in 8", 26" chambered in 264WM. I'm starting to do my homework on where to start with loads. I started a few months back and have enough components to try out. I'm planning on 140gr pills. I have several powders to use, but planning on h1000 and Retumbo.

I have never seen such a variance in load books for a round. One book's starting loads are a couple grains higher than another's max. The Berger manual seems to be the "hottest" book, where in the past I have felt they were on the lighter end. I know there are always people who will load over book, but there are many I have found, on the net, who load well over published loads.

I am curious to know what people who load and shoot 264wm often, use for their load.

I'm loading 68gr retumbo under a 140 accubond in mine. Shoots just a little over 3200. I would start around 64gr and work up from there.

I have a 27 3/4" 9" twist Shilen barrel on my 264 WM and my load is 130 Accubond, 66.5 grs Retumbo, CCI 250 primer, and I make my cases out of WW 7mm Rem mag cases. Just run them in a 264 WM FL die and done. I average 3350 fps with half MOA accuracy. This is a deer hammer to waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there. My rifle has a nice and tight chamber so I get the high velocity with less powder than some use.

I used 120g privi partisan BTHP to break in my rifle with 71g WC867. That load clocked just shy of 3000 fps. At first there was quite a ES, but as the barrel broke in it began to smooth out. I shot one round, fully cleaned and de-coppered, shot two rounds, repeated... About round # 57 the velocity settled in very noticeably. I then started at 74g WC 867 with 140g Berger VLD and work up .5g to my rifles maximum. I'm currently waiting for my paperwork to clear for the suppressor to do accuracy testing...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.