Ready to give up on this rifle, any suggestions?

mark slavinski

winchester m-70 s/s synthetic 7mm WSM. I have tried 11 bullets (at multiple seating depths), 6 powders, three primers and three different cases. I have neck sized and full length sized. Two different scopes, bedded rifle and can not get this rifle to shoot any hand loads consistently. I have almost 200 rounds down this bbl trying to get some kind of load and I'm no closer now than when I started! Here is the kicker, it shoots federal fusion 150's lights out! Hornady outfitter 150 GMX shoots better than any handload I have made….. I know you are going to say just shoot the factory ammo and be happy. I can't do that. the only thing I have not done is crimp the bullet. I have never crimped any of my other rifles and never had a problem. I will try some tomorrow with a crimp and report back. I am open to any suggestions, is there anything I have left out? I love the rifle and would really like to get an accurate load before I shoot the bbl out… tks!

Maybe a dumb question, but how many of the 11 bullets you've tried were 150 grain? The rifle seems to like the harmonics generated by the 150s at the velocities coming from the Fed Fusion and GMX loads. Are you using a chronograph and trying to find nodes. You don't give us details of how you've been doing your load workup.

1. Yes. Take off the front base. Look down the front receiver hole. You should see barrel threads. If you see a shiny spot you just found your culprit. Shorten screw by .010. Reassemble and go shoot. I have seen this problem with at least 6 rifles. Mine, friends, relatives and folks on boards like this. This is a bigger problem with custom barrels after re-machining barrel threads.
2. Check runout on your loads.
3. Make sure your neck tension is adequate. I like .003".
4. Clean barrel, shoot it dirty for at least twenty rounds. With the same bullet.
5. Use same base to ogive length (same as factory) with different bullets but do not shoot different ones in shot strings.

Report back if you can.

Had a black shadow that actually hated all factory loads...until I pulled some bullets and tested lower charges....then it cut holes....
Obviously yours like something in the factory loads...have you succeeded in same fps as the good shooting factories...with same bullets...or any bullets.....

Maybe a dumb question, but how many of the 11 bullets you've tried were 150 grain? The rifle seems to like the harmonics generated by the 150s at the velocities coming from the Fed Fusion and GMX loads. Are you using a chronograph and trying to find nodes. You don't give us details of how you've been doing your load workup.
Tried 150 nosler BT and accubond, Sierra 150 SBT and GameChanger along with Hornady 154gn SST. Yes, I use a chronograph. Fusion runs 2954fps and I have run everything at that velocity along with below and above it. Also tried several 160 gn loads along with only a couple 140 gun loads.

I have a factory Model 70 featherweight in .270 that wouldn't group well without a Simms vibration dampener doughnut on the barrel. A trip to the gunsmith for pillars helped. I just got a 130 grain Accubond load to shoot well this week without the doughnut.

Tag. Very interested in this. I have a Kimber that has been similar. Best it will do is about 1 1/2-2Moa with any load. Thinking I need a new barrel but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Here is the kicker, it shoots federal fusion 150's lights out! Hornady outfitter 150 GMX shoots better than any handload I have made….. I know you are going to say just shoot the factory ammo and be happy. I can't do that.
My time is worth something.
If I have a rifle that shoots factory ammo that well, I buy several boxes and move on with it. Well, back when you could buy ammo that is. :)

I have a 257 Weatherby that shoots 0.47 inches, at 200 yards, with two different types of factory ammo. Repeatedly.
Neither the previous owner or I have gotten near that with handloads.
Even at $80/box, I'll shoot my 4 rounds a year at antelope and buy factory ammo. It's the only Weatherby that I have to buy factory ammo for, but it's probably my most accurate rifle so I don't care.

If your rifle likes certain factory loads, and you are good with their performance, you could take a few of those rounds apart and probably determine what that load is in terms of bullet, powder and powder weight. I would also measure bullet seating depth before dis-assembly. The Lee Factory Crimp Die may help as well to replicate factory rounds.

I would choose the Hornady rounds if you try this out, that way you can use a Hornady manual to limit your powder options identification to what their manual recommends for that caliber. Federal rounds have a lot more variables (choices) from what I've seen.

Recent Posts