When to give up on specific bullet

TBuckus

I'm trying out some 120gr TTSX bullets in a 7mm-08. I've been thru 3 different powders working up loads without good results.
I've had good luck with Barnes in other rifles, but not this one so far.

Is it time to move on?

Get yourself a really good copper cleaning product like MT Xtreme Copper Killer 50 BMG Formula. It might just too much copper build up in the barrel that is causing the horrible groups. Hope this helps.

I was not successful working up loads for the 120 gr TTSX in my Savage 260 Rem LRP. It shoots pretty much everything else very well including the 127 gr LRX, 95 gr VMAX, 140 gr Bergers. It is a target rifle after all. I don't like to think I've quit on that bullet - I'm just pausing for a while.

I find it interesting that you are using the same weight bullet in a very similar case. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

I used the 120GR TTSX in my custom 260 with awesome results I had a short action so I just seated out to mag length 2.80, and used 44.5 GR of IMR 4350 with 210M primers could get .5 inch groups at 100 yards , I have a friend that uses the 120 TTSX in his 708 with 4350 and the same primers ,and gets really awesome results . I always use wipeout bore cleaner when I shoot the TTSX this stuff really cleans out the cooper from bore.

The harmonious marriage relationship between a load and a rifle requires that all physical factors be in balance. Caliber, barrel twist rate, chamber dimensions, bullet weight, bullet BC, powder charge, primer type, rifle action and bore condition, bullet seating depth, OAL, etc. Something as simple as an unsuitable twist rate can make load development with a particular bullet essentially impossible. There are a lot of questions to be answered here before any real problem analysis can take place.

I'm with outlaw...jam those things down in the case. Slowly bring them out and take notes. .030 made the world's difference in my 280 and 7mag . Seating them into lands had me wanting to give up also.

It shoots 140 gr bullets well. This is my first attempt reloading 120 grs. The Barnes shoot well in my other rifles so I thought I would give it a try in this one.

I've adjusted the seating depth only a little. I may try that some more.

I use wipeout and haven't had an issue with fowling since I switched.

Would a shorter barrel like heavier bullets? I'll have to check my notes and see what the twist is.

I had the same experience when working up a load with 100 gr. TSX's in my 25-06. The groups didn't start shrinking until the bullet was 0.100'' off the rifling and pushing max powder charge. The same thing was true with my 280 and 140 gr. TTSX's.

I had the same experience when working up a load with 100 gr. TSX's in my 25-06. The groups didn't start shrinking until the bullet was 0.100'' off the rifling and pushing max powder charge. The same thing was true with my 280 and 140 gr. TTSX's.

OK. I'll keep going. I don't have many left in the box anyway. I was .060 off like the previous post.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts