Re-tread looking for refresher reading materials - books

SouthTXBowhunter

Hey there y'all!

I did a lot of long range hunting shooting and competitive shooting as a kid but got away from it a LONG time ago- 25 years. Now I'm wanting to get back into it but there's SO much that's foggy, forgotten or simply changed that I'm starting all over again. So, I'm looking for a few good books to read on the basics of long-range shooting, ballistics and hand-loading. As a kid he trained me and turned me into a really great shooter and I know it broke his heart when I drifted away and got interested in other things. My dad, who passed 7 years ago now, was a member of the Army rifle team and a Camp Perry competitor back in the 60's and my getting back into serious shooting is a way for me to pay tribute to my dad and for me to feel closer to him.

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated!

Right now I'm shooting a 25 WSSM and finishing a AR build with one of LaRue's Stealth Sniper uppers with an 18" barrel. I know it's not ideal for truly long range shooting but it's something I always wanted to build and with the way the election is going it seemed like a prudent time to build it. Once it's finished, though, I'm going to look at something like a .308, 300 Win Mag or a 300 Ultra Mag. Maybe these guns will influence the recommendations you make on reading materials?

Thanks, in advance!

Nick

There is an absolute wealth of knowledge on this site. Maybe find some other good info from magazines like shooting times and handloader magazine. Shawn Carlocks long range dvd is also full of good information.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.