Recommended reading?

cornstalker

I have been hunting and reloading for a couple of decades. To this point none of my exploits have pushed me beyond 400 yards on a critter,(with the exception of one 500 yard prairie dog (six shots)). I have to admit that I am intrigued with what I see here as well as the art of the sniper.

I wonder if anyone would recommend a book or two for me to read that would give me a beginners overview in the arena of shooting 600 plus yards on targets or game.

I love reading stuff on this site, but my attention span is longer with a book in my hands.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Chad

Becoming adept at long range hunting requires learning a lot of boring information that at the time might not seem important but in the end is a piece in a big puzzle. While you asked for a book, the Sierra Exterior Ballistics website is a really good place to learn a lot of basic fundamental information.

exterior ballistics

I know it's not a book, but do yourself a favor and get Shawn Carlock's video. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ing-video-shawn-carlock-defensive-edge-28740/

I can agree with this. i have the video and it's all most like taking the class in person. i got a couple of videos about long range shooting from cabela's and they sucked so bad i didn't even watch all of them. get Shawn's video and you will love it.

Great recommendations. Thank you.

I have checked out some stuff on the Sierra site in the past, and this reminds how thoroughly they explain exterior ballistics in the reloading manual that I already have. I will read it again.

I'll be ordering the Carlock video shortly. Now I just have to figure out how to get control of the DVD players away from the wife and kids..........:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.