Recommended rings

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by bearhntr, Jan 11, 2010.

1. bearhntr

bearhntr Well-Known Member

I'm looking for rings with the proper amount of angle in them to get me out to 1000. Any recommendations? I've got a Burris FFII 4.5x14X42 that has 40 inches of adjustment at 100 yds. Will drop 245 inches at 1000. I know the scope isn't the best but its what I have right now until I can upgrade.

Thanks

2. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

Try the Burris Signature Select rings, they have the plastic inserts that allow you to put in whatever amount of cant you actually need.

Chris

3. mkg

mkg Well-Known Member

The Burris Signature Zee are very nice and do allow you to add angle like a 10 or 20 MOA base as well as protecting the scope from ring marks and torque on the tube.
    The only issue I have had with them is that they must be retorqued after any extremely cold weather exposure ( in the teens or single digits F ). Apparently the plastic contracts at a higher rate than the steel ring causing the rings to act loose. I have had this issue with two sets . A simple re torque fixes the problem.

Mike

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

5. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Hey bearhntr,
    I just went through this myself. I changed scopes on my 700P 7RM from a 1" Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 to a 30mm Vari-X III 6.5-20X50 LR/T and wanted to get all the elevation that I could and yet keep the scope as low to the barrel as possible.
    I went with Leupold's STD 20MOA Long Range Matte Base (51732) and Burris Signature Dovetail High Matte Black rings (420581) with a -20 insert in the front ring and +20 in the rear.
    I can't remember the exact number of up clicks that I have available but after counting and converting them into MOA and running it through JBM, this set up gets me out past 1500yds.
    Probably more elevation than I will ever need but I wanted to see if it could be done without spending $300 by going the Picatinny ("Tactical") route. As far as I know this is the cheapest way to add MOA to your setup. Total price; approx. $85.00 including tax & shipping.
    I have used the Burris Signatures before on another rifle and they are solid performers. No thrills or flashy name, they just work. JohnnyK

6. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

I got Burris Signatures on every scope I own.

Tarey

7. bearhntr

bearhntr Well-Known Member

Where can you get just the inserts at?

8. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

I bought some extra ones from Opticsplanet.com
    There is only one set in each box, so you need 2 sets.
    They had the best price.
    Tarey

9. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Agree.

I've purchased a few sets of bases, rings and inserts from them in the past year and generally they have the best price - especially when you include free shipping for orders over $30.

Oh, and I love the Burris Signature rings too.

10. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Midway sells a kit from Burris with a full range of inserts (.005, .010 and .020). If you order the 1" Signature rings you also get a .000" insert. This pretty much covers the gamet. They also make a gunsmith kit for $80.00, but that's a lot of rifles! These inserts only work with the Signature rings.
    Unfortunately, they do not have the 30mm inserts available in the kit form. You get what you get when you order/buy the 30mm rings. What I got was enough to get me straight. JohnnyK.

11. Sidesy

Sidesy Active Member

hi, cant you just add a picatinny rail with 20 MOA built in ? I use NF steel on my rifles. best wishes