Any Suggestions for Good Books?

Tannerite

Hello Everyone,

I am new to long range hunting/shooting. What books would be good to develop my skills and overall knowledge? I don't know if any background knowledge would be heplful; so here's some anyways. I primarily hunt whitetails, antelope, coyotes, and prairie dogs. My deer rifle is a 6.5x55 tikka t3 hunter, so I know 1,000 yd deer shots are unethical with my caliber, but I still would like to learn to extend my range. Also, I'm a broke college student going to dental school next year, so I'm on a tight budget to say the least.

Thanks for the Help!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to long range hunting/shooting. What books would be good to develop my skills and overall knowledge? I don't know if any background knowledge would be heplful; so here's some anyways. I primarily hunt whitetails, antelope, coyotes, and prairie dogs. My deer rifle is a 6.5x55 tikka t3 hunter, so I know 1,000 yd deer shots are unethical with my caliber, but I still would like to learn to extend my range. Also, I'm a broke college student going to dental school next year, so I'm on a tight budget to say the least.

Thanks for the Help!
Welcome. By rule we don't discuss the "ethics" of long range hunting here but pretty much everything else to do with LRH is definitely discussed a lot here.

See the Sticky's above your post, there's a wealth of good information there to help you get started.

Bryan's book suggested above is a good start. Sorry but I can't help you with any other books on the subject but I'm sure others here can and will.

The stickied threads above as well as most of the rest in this section will give you enough info to get off to a very good start.

I agree that Bryan Litz's book is a must for ballistics information. When I started out , there were lots of books about target, competition and hunting of all types but not much on general skills and concepts for long range hunting. As we have seen on this site long range means different things to different people. I found the single most valuable book that was very comprehensive, and helped me with the general concepts of long range shooting technique, skills, principals, and equipment was, "The Ultimate Sniper" author: Plaster. Sniping is not hunting, but many of the skills and concepts can be applied to long range hunting. It also makes for an interesting read. I currently think this site contains the most comprehensive amount of information available, but has it has to be mined.

I agree that Bryan Litz's book is a must for ballistics information. When I started out , there were lots of books about target, competition and hunting of all types but not much on general skills and concepts for long range hunting. As we have seen on this site long range means different things to different people. I found the single most valuable book that was very comprehensive, and helped me with the general concepts of long range shooting technique, skills, principals, and equipment was, "The Ultimate Sniper" author: Plaster. Sniping is not hunting, but many of the skills and concepts can be applied to long range hunting. It also makes for an interesting read. I currently think this site contains the most comprehensive amount of information available, but has it has to be mined.
I was a good long range shooter when I went into the military. I was a much better long range shooter by the end of my career.

Bryan's Book made me a much better long range shooter today than I was at any point in my career because it gave me a more complete understanding of principles that had been drilled into my head and memorized by rote, but not truly "learned".

Awfully good read and you don't have to already be an "expert" to understand it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.