Re#33 discontinued

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Iron Worker, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Just checked on Aliant powders site and can't find any Re# 33 ? Has it been discontinued ?

2. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

I dont think it has been added to their web site. At least I hope that's the case.

3. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

It's still listed at Midway and Powder Valley, not currently available, but still listed.

4. 358sta

358sta Well-Known Member

It might not be listed in their Product section but there are loads in the Reloader's Guide.

Kevin

5. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Can you provide a link,I didn't see any loads and I looked a week ago ?

6. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

Try the link below.
    I have never seen RL33 listed on their site, BUT I sure do like the powder in big overbore magnums. I got over 100 fps more in my 338 LM IMP over Retumbo.

Dave

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

7. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

Sorta strange. They announce it at the Shot Show last year but it was available in such limited quantities that it might as well be unavailable all together. Given the current powder demand, I doubt we'll see it made for a long, long time.

8. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Well-Known Member

Graf's has it in stock. Get it while you can.

9. tinytree

tinytree Well-Known Member

i would like to try some. i am getting great groups with 4831sc, but could definitely stand to gain a tad more speed.

10. Engineering101

Engineering101 Well-Known Member

Not discontinued but hard to get. I think that they haven’t listed it on their website yet because they haven’t been able to fill demand so why be putting blood in the water? In QuickLoad it shows up near the top of the velocity lists for a lot of cartridges so I had to have some. I got an 8 lb jug a few weeks ago from Powder Valley and my nephew picked up a pound yesterday at a gun show over in Montana so it can be obtained.

Turns out that the performance is for real – one example, 300 RUM, 26”, 200 gr Nosler AB at 3,250 fps, no pressure signs. I haven’t tried faster but I’m guessing that is about it judging from the primers being just about the right amount of flat.

There are however a couple of things to keep in mind. It is a BIG stick powder – two pieces is a tenth of a grain. I’ve had it jam up in my powder funnel more than once and it doesn’t trickle all that well. I’ve had to partially seat bullets and then shake the case upside down a couple of times to keep from badly crunching the powder in a 338 RUM case that used less than 100% of available volume. It also puts out some serious smoke – like half way to black powder. And the burn rate changes a lot depending on what you put it in so you have to be very conservative with starting loads. Having said all that, I’m sure glad I bought 8 lbs.

11. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

Heavy smoke? I haven't noticed that with 6mm-284, 7mm/375 Ruger, 257 Weatherby, 7 Rem mag, or 300 RUM.

It is definitely slower than Retumbo. Only the 7 mag didn't show velocity increases but I didn't use a 180. The rest of them were shot with the heaviest bullet for caliber available which is where I believe RL-33 shines.

12. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

Last nite Graf & Sons had it, you might check

13. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer Member

Powder Valley has it in stock in both 1 lb. and 8 lb. containers for $19.15 and $137.50 respectively.
    Powder Valley, Inc.

14. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

Just picked up 5 pounds!!!!!