RE 33 & the .338 Lap Mag

Ray Fryar

Hello all, I have been loading for my .338 Lapua Magnum for a couple of years now it is a savage 111 Long range hunter 26" 1-9.25 twist I love it. I am working on shooting it accurately at a mile (this will take some time as I am looking for a place to shoot that far). I have worked up a load using IMR 7828 I am getting consistent 4 shot groups of 1.268 at 300 yards I know this will spread out with distance (work in progress) the 7828 is not filling the case up like I would like and I would like to get some more velocity, Has anyone been using the Alliant 33? I see that it takes more powder and the data shows more velocity, I would like to get some input about the powder (pros or cons) before I buy and start working up a load with a new powder. Thanks in advance.

Reloader 33 was designed especially for the 338 Lapua and it works very well in other big 338s

The first time I tried it, was to fire form some brass. the recommended powder was very expensive. And to my pleasure and surprise it shot under 1/4 MOA while fire forming and the velocity was very good.

I have not used it very much but so far, it has been impressive.

J E CUSTOM

I tested Retumbo, H1000 and Re33 and the 33 was more accurate and gave more velocity. We got 3100 in my Lapua Imp, 3000 in an Edge, and 3000 in a Savage Lapua. This was all with 300 grain Bergers. Matt

I tested Retumbo, H1000 and Re33 and the 33 was more accurate and gave more velocity. We got 3100 in my Lapua Imp, 3000 in an Edge, and 3000 in a Savage Lapua. This was all with 300 grain Bergers. Matt

Thank you very much that's the kind of info I am looking for. I am using 250 & 300 gr Sierra match kings.
If you don't mind what is your load for these velocity's?

Thank you very much that's the kind of info I am looking for. I am using 250 & 300 gr Sierra match kings.
I don't know how much my buddy put in his 338 Lapua but I have an Improved and ran up to 105 with no pressure. Go to Alliant site and they have loads for 338 Lapua with 300 grains. I think the Lapua load was 99 grains but check and make sure. Matt

I don't know how much my buddy put in his 338 Lapua but I have an Improved and ran up to 105 with no pressure. Go to Alliant site and they have loads for 338 Lapua with 300 grains. I think the Lapua load was 99 grains but check and make sure. Matt

Thanks again. I have the new 2015 Alliant catalog that has RE 33 loads in it just looking for real use input.

using retumbo at 91 grains will start to compress and ive shot up to 98 grains which is a compressed load with no pressure signs with a 250 g smk with real good speed and accuracy..

In my Rem 700 in 338 Lapua

I use RL33 with the Nosler 300gr Accubond.

I did try it with 250gr Accubonds but I believe RL 33 is too slow for 250gr bullets.

Reloader 26 is a new powder that should be perfect for the 250gr bullets in the 338 Lapua.

I use Reloader 33 with 300gr Accubonds in Hornady brass with WLRM primers.
I just used the new Nosler Load data .......sure is a good shooter the AR-30 in 338 Lapua.

Only problem I only have 1 pound left of RL 33........:(

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.