Re-22 question

winmagman

I was shooting last weekend and in one of the loads I was using Re-22, while cleaning between shots I noticed that carbon fouling was pretty bad( compared to H4831sc). I shoot loads of the same powder in a 300WM, 243, and a 6.5-284 and none of them carbon foul as bad as the 7 saum.

So what I'm wondering is

1. Will the same powder carbon foul differently in different rifles?

2. Does velocity/pressure affect carbon fouling? If so, how?

3. Will the bullet used affect the amount of carbon fouling?

Thanks for any help.
Chris

I don't know in regards to your specific questions but I have always found Alliant powders to be very dirty compared to many others that I have shot.

Hope that helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris,

I have never had a carbon build up problem in any of my rifles but my uncle gets it all the time in his 6mm-284. It is true carbon build up that must be scraped out with a brush.

RL22 will make the patches blacker than h4831sc will, but that is not necessarily carbon build up you are seeing. It is probably the deterrent coating on the powder combined with other things.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Will the same powder carbon foul differently in different rifles?

[/ QUOTE ]

As of yet, I have only seen it on hotrod 6mm's with 3 groove barrels but I would tend to believe that any super overbore rifle with the right powder/primer combo could get it.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Does velocity/pressure affect carbon fouling? If so, how?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to be the only thing that does.

[ QUOTE ]
Will the bullet used affect the amount of carbon fouling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Changing bullets did nothing to prevent the build up in my uncles rifle. However, he did notice that the carbon ring left in his throat blew up AMAX's and Bergers. The only bullet he can shoot is Sierra's because of their tougher jacket.

hope this helps.

winmagman,
you pose some interesting questions I will give them a whirl. as to question #1 Absolutely, I have a 300wm and a 6mm-284 that both love RL22, my 300wm cleans the carbon fouling out much easier than my 6mm-284, some call it powder to bore ratio some just say over-bore ,call it what you like but the higher the intensity the cartridge the greater the carbon fouling (and copper as well). this should answer question #2 as well. question #3 I have done some tinkering and am undecided at this point.
7mmag man suggesting that all alliant powders are dirty is like saying any one that lives in a trailer is trailer trash it is just not the case (while H4831sc might be clean burning H414 is as filthy as any powder in existence). use what powder shoots the best in your gun and clean when the shootin's done.
B

Thanks for the replies
Maybe carbon fouling isn't the right way to word it as there is no build up like goodgrouper described. The Re-22 is just dirtier burnig than the H4831 in my 7saum and it's the only Alliant powder I have used so I have no basis for comparison.

Mainly I was wondering about the velocity question since I had thought I'd read somewhere that lower pressure loads tended to foul/be dirtier than full/max loads. And since the velocities I'm getting are below those listed in the reloading manuals for a 24' barrel(mine's 27") I hoped maybe the Re-22 might "clean up" if I upped the velocity.

Chris

winmagman,

I use RL22 in my 280AI and 338RUM and would have to agree that the barrels do get dirty after even a few shots.
However, shooters choice and sweets clean them up nice when I am done shooting. I have had very good luck with several Alliant powdwer in several calibers. In fact, any new load development starts with Alliant powders.

Regards,

JD338

Similar experience RL-19/22 are a bit dirty. However RL-22 is the best shooting powder in my 270 Win and 338 Win Mag. The higher the pressure the cleaner it 'seems' to shoot.

However RL-22 is temperature sensitive in that my 3200 fps 270 load looses about 130 fps in the winter time. BUT, I'm a little hesitant about this as my chono is a chrony which seems to be not able to duplicate data on different days, to some extent.

ROY in IDAHO,
where have you been CTR means CORRUPT THE RIGHTUOUS, Excuse me I have to go outside and ajust the lightning rod

brian b

Yea, you'll need a lightening rod adjustment just about the time GG finds a girl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I find RL-22 a bit slower than 4831SC in the 270 and 338 Win.

7 saum? what bullet? How much R22?

I'm still working on 8 pounds bought exclusively for a 25'06Ackley. Never saw the problem with dirty residue?

I will say this. With R-22 & 100 gr. Ballistc Tip, yields highest velocity I have ever obtained in this chambering, by quite a bit.

Maybe it doesn't burn clean at less than maximum charges?

Good hunting. LB

LB
I worked up to 59.0 grs.(book max) of Re-22 with the 160 gr Accubond. Zilch for pressure signs. But velocity (2895 avg)is still 50-80 fps slower than what Nosler lists for this load with a 24" barrel. Since my barrel is a 27" I was hoping for around 3000 fps with this bullet. When the weather cools some I'll be working up some warmer loads and see what the rifle likes/tolerates.

Chris

I like R22 and use it in quite a few rounds but its one of those powders you want to by enough of at one time and of the same lot to shoot out a barrel.Have found lot to lot deviations to be more than other powders and enough to warrent redoing the load with every lot change.
Ben my expience that it likes to be shot at max but temp and lot variations can make it tricky.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.