Re#22 or IMR 7828

Iron Worker

Shooting 80gr Berger VLDs out of my 22-250AI 26" 5R 8"twist BBL 42.5 grs of Re #22 produces 3350 AVG 42.5 IMR 7828 produces 3325 AVG both about the same accuracy. 1 more gr of either powder will lock the bolt up.... So which powder should I use?

Go with the one that shoots more consistantly.which one has the best SD?That's the one I would use.

My choice would be RL22 because of the extra velocity over the other powder, however small it maybe, and I just like RL22. As a matter of fact I burnt 897 gns of it yesterday in my .300WinMag. I found an accurate load for the 180gn SMK (75.5gn/9.5M = .346"). JohnnyK.

Shooting 80gr Berger VLDs out of my 22-250AI 26" 5R 8"twist BBL 42.5 grs of Re #22 produces 3350 AVG 42.5 IMR 7828 produces 3325 AVG both about the same accuracy. 1 more gr of either powder will lock the bolt up.... So which powder should I use?

Gosh, whichever one you have most of on hand I guess. You are very fortunate to be at the point of splitting hairs here.

I have very little experience with 7828 and really haven't used any in years. I probably load as much Re22 as any other powder combined, however.

I like the smaller kernels of Re22 powder, but I've not seen the latest 7828SSC either.

Why don't you just load a sh_t load of ammo using all of what you have in both powders? :D

Just back from the rifle range. Re#22 is the stuff. Narrow ED amd SD nice tight group . IMR 7828 with same powder charge as Re#22 ( 42.5) Produced 100 FPS ED out of 6 shots. Interesting how a BBL likes one powder over the other when their both slow burning powders? Why? Does it have to do with the harmonic's of the BBL ?

Interesting how a BBL likes one powder over the other when their both slow burning powders? Why? Does it have to do with the harmonic's of the BBL ?

It's all internal ballistics. I've never known why you can have 2 almost duplicated loads in terms of components where velocity is almost identical, but only the powders are different, and yet have differences in accuracy, different SDs etc.

My 300 Ultra loves IMR 7828 so that is the powder I use with it. I have found a big variance between cans so be aware. I realize every can unless its the same lot can be different but it is more so than most other powders I use.
Dave

Just back from the rifle range. Re#22 is the stuff. Narrow ED amd SD nice tight group . IMR 7828 with same powder charge as Re#22 ( 42.5) Produced 100 FPS ED out of 6 shots. Interesting how a BBL likes one powder over the other when their both slow burning powders? Why? Does it have to do with the harmonic's of the BBL ?

Iron Worker,

You're my kind of guy. There otta be a special place in heaven for us barrel burners.:D

Let me suggest that if you try 7828ssc you'll note some difference one way or another. For any fairly overbore cartridge I have used it in it has come out the winner. Especially where the amount of powder is large enough to make "bridging" a real concern.

There's bound to be a can of the stuff around someplace. gun)

I shot Saturday and Sunday experimenting with 7828. Saturday I started with 40grs,41,42 with one bullet each just to be certain nothing screwy happened. Well then 3 of 42.5 and 3 of 43.0 and 3 of 43.5. MV were all over the place. One shot read 3,409 another at 3175 ,then another 3350 and the bolt gave a lot of resistance. Then tried 44grs. 1st shot was 3,595 FPS I say what! Must be my chronny's error and the bolt locked up. So I bang it open I say to my self "Well no more shooting today ! I'll pull the rest". Then I figure Well one more. 2nd shot Bolt locks up again this time Chronny reads 3,795 !!!!!! I'm not kidding!!!! Hey 43.5 produced a high of 3,409 so 5/10ths more and I get a spike of nearly 400 FPS and a locked up bolt twice. Next day (after pulling the bullet of the rest of ammo) I shot 42.5 and I get fair accuracy but again velocity ED of 100 FPS and of the RE#22 same charge I get ED of 22 FPS and an average MV out of 6 shots 3,343. FPS and a nice tight 1/2 MOA out of a sporter weight 26" 5R 8"twist RockCreek BBL. So that's my load ,them coyote's are gonna have to like it or else I'll shoot them to death.No more Mr Nice guy last coyote I called in I tried to pet it and he bit me! ...........Just kidding

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.