RCBS Micrometer screw for Uniflow

atepointer

Wondering if anyone has had an issue with one of these. The old Uniflow with the stock screw/bushing has been flawless forever, but I thought I'd get a micrometer screw to further add to simplicity when changing powders. This is a large drum/screw setup so I bought the large screw version micrometer and I've used the RCBS metal baffle in my hopper the last few years worked great. Oddest thing I'll get a couple in my range and then whoosh I'll get one throwing .5 high, then a few more on the nose then .5 low. So weird. Historically my ball powder has dropped insanely tight within a needle width or .04 of my desired charge. I eve had one throw 1.2g heavy which blew my mind....had to mesure on beam and digital just to make sure I wasn't going nuts. I've tried changing my tempo on the lever upstroke, downstroke you name it. Always keep hopper at least 1/2 full. Going cuckoo.

I'm certain it's something stupid I'm doing, but not figuring it out yet. Cleaned the measure spotless and powder stored indoors a/c environment nor do I leave any in the hopper b/t sessions. To add insult to injury when I left it last night it was as close to 44.1 as I could get and this morning I'm dropping 43.4-ish + - .4g. I'm about ready to drop the old setup back into play and chalk this up to KISS.

Thanks for the magic bullet fix I know someone here will get me on the right path.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the powder is absorbing moisture overnight? The volume would be the same but the powder would be heavier. You can drive yourself crazy with this stuff. I used a uniflow for 30 years, then tried the Hornady which I liked. Recently I decided to try the cheap *** Lee deluxe powder measure. So far, I really like the thing. It seems cheesy but it is smooth and doesnt cut kernels like the others. I always measure my charges so I throw them under and trickle up. I went back to basics and enjoy the hobby again, even after 50 years

Try changing the height of the baffle, I have mine set at about a quarter up the cylinder. The only measures I know that work with the baffle set at the bottom are Redding and Harrel.

Cheers.

Not thinking the powder would be absorbing moisture as it's always taken out of the hopper and stored indoors, but hey anything is possible.

Interesting on the baffle height. What did you use to hang the baffle at that 1/4 up height? Thanks guys

I bend my baffles a little so they hold a spring against the tube and stay put. To move it down I use a steel rule, to move it up I use an Allen wrench.
My Redding LR 1000 likes the baffle at the bottom…what a challenge that is getting it square at the bottom!
The RCBS can be touchy about bench vibration, how do you have it mounted? I always run the stand bolted to the bench, and the bench is bolted to the wall.

Cheers.