Rain X on a scope?

I tried it about 15-20 years ago when it first came out. I had a 3x9 tasco on a 22 rimfire for squirrel hunting. I thought it made it foggy and gave it a bad glare when looking near the angle of the sun. I felt it made enough of a difference that I never tried it on another scope. Maybe the Tasco was just that bad to begin with. I had about $30 in it so I figured it worth the risk. I had a buddy back then who put it on his and never complained. For me good glass is very expensive and I would not consider risking anything on it.

That is good info on that video but the goal here is not to clean the lens. The goal is to make the lense as fog and or water proof as possible. Cold air plus warm breath equals fog on eye glasses, bios and scopes. Just looking for a way to lower the risk of a fogged up scope.

This is what Leoupld said about it...

"Rick, it will help at the beginning but I do not recommend using Rain X, my suggestion is trying a substance called Kleer-Vu they can be reached at 208-524-4949"

Kleer Vu Anti-Fog Cleaner is the web address.

I am going to try some and see if it works for scopes and my eye glasses.

I called leupold a few years back and they said the same thing, I bought a bottle and yes it seems to help some but it wasn't quite the result I was looking for, you also have to re-apply it frequently for lasting results.

That is good info on that video but the goal here is not to clean the lens. The goal is to make the lense as fog and or water proof as possible. Cold air plus warm breath equals fog on eye glasses, bios and scopes. Just looking for a way to lower the risk of a fogged up scope.

That is exactly the point!!!!!!! You should not put anything on the glass EXCEPT clean filtered acetone! On a cheap scope which I do not own any who really cares because the performance is not that great anyway and most might not even notice the degradation in performance.....

Keep the glass aclimented to the temperature and DON'T breath on them. Pretty simple, don't over complicate things

cmfi3, what is frequently? Once an hour, once a day, once every few days, once a week?

Once a day. This Kleer Vu also beads the water off your lenses, this was the main reason for purchasing this due to the very wet climate we have here in weastern Oregon in the fall.

Last edited:
All good posts. LOL

Alright geargrinder, test it on that 6500 you have and let us know... :cool:

JWP I wish I had that kind of control.

At 10,000 plus feet I am working hard to breath just sitting still. You add running to get into position for a shot, the adrenalin of getting to take a shot I have been waiting on for years and looking over a scope to see a critter or just waiting behind the scope waiting on a shot and everything that goes with moment and I am going to breath on that scope.

Heck I thought I was trying to un-complicate things.

Thanks for everyone's feed back, I think I will try the stuff recommend by Leupold and see if it works. If nothing else it will help my eye-glasses and binos from fogging up in the rain.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.