Rain X On Scopes Good Or Bad ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by redbone, Dec 26, 2008.

1. redbone

redbone Well-Known Member

Rain X On Scopes Good Or Bad ?

I had an Brain Storm about Putting Rain X on Scopes .

Will It Harm Them ?

Have anyone Tryed this Before ?

2. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Bad bad idea ...

RainX will get hazey after a short time -so your scope will be hazey.

I have used rain x on a couple of car windshields -it works great at first then only works where the wiper blades don't touch.
    I used some of the rain x designed for the inside of the glass to beat back fogging -RUINED the windshield.It [rain x] turned foggy over time and nothing -paint thinner -denatured alcohol or gasoline would take it off the inside of the glass..Bad idea but seems like a good idea -Mike

3. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

I was kinda thinking the same idea but with that new car wax, "turtle wax ice" it comes as a liquid and have used it on my car windows without any problems. I think i am going to try it on my simmons scope before i step up to anything that costs more than $200

4. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I started to wear eyeglasses this year, and found they would sometimes fog up in cold weather while hunting. Called my optician, asked him about Rain X and he advised me not to do so; said it would leave a haze on them, and it cannot be used on plastic surfaces. Same thing is true with scopes, I believe. Call the scope manufacturer and ask what they think.

5. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

Manufacturers spend millions on developing exactly the right coatings for their particular glass...I don't think I would be messing with that with an off the shelf product designed for a much lower tech application. But if you want to put it on your scope, I would happily read a range report!

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Bad idea.

Sounds like something I'd do without asking ahead.:rolleyes:

7. NJS

NJS Well-Known Member

Very bad idea... I hate puiting any kind of goo on my lenses.

My new Leica's have the AquaDura coating that sheads water and other crud with out smudging. I don't have a problem with them fogging up on the outside either. NJS

8. BTnerd

BTnerd Member

Bad.....