Scope?On a nikon monarch scope

enigma

I was hunting yesterday and the sun was setting the sky had a yellow orange tint to it.There was a deer walking along the south west side of the field about 580 yards.I look though my son scope it's a nikon monarch 6x24-50 I had the sun shade on the scope I looked though the scope and I couldn't really see much because there was a bright yellow orange tint or glare when i looked though the scope, so I pulled up my gun it has a swarovski PH scope on it a 6x24-50 with a sun shade on it and there was no yellow orange tint why?I take it that the nikon monarch scopes aren't that great of a scope?

Last edited:
I use a Nikon Monarch similar to the one you have, I have never had the problem you described and I have had mine for about 7 years. I also use a sun shade as well. What power was the scope set on when this occurred?

How old is the scope?

I am wondering if it has something to do with the coating that is on the glass? Have you tried calling Nikon and explaining to them your problem? Nikon has a lifetime warranty on their scopes I believe.

I am curious to read what others have to say about this.

What you're seeing is the optical difference between Swarovski and Nikon.

More specifically it is the quality of lenses and coatings used. Swarovski has several high grade coatings on superior lenses to enhance optical clarity and reduce glare. And while Nikon's lenses are multi coated, they probably didn't start with premium components. The Nikon's are great scopes, they are just built to fit into a specific price point to attract buyers. Something has to give in this marketing approach, and in this instance one of the compromises is the lenses.

Monarchs vary greatly from scope to scope. Looked through several side by side and some
were good and some were poor in image quality.

Well I'm going to sell it because alot of our shots are on that side of the field in the evening and morning. And the sun is on that side of the field during hunting season In michigan at this time of year the sun not that high in the sky, so we get alot of glare on his scope. when I had a old red field spotting scope same problem and because that side of the field is shaded all day you can't see over there with those scopes because of the shade and the sun shining.my scope the only one we can see over there with.I guess only swarovski or zeiss for my son gun now.I guess when I buy a scope I'll have to buy it in the evening or morning so I can see how it looks with glare and shade low to the ground. I had a nikon monarch last year a 4x16-42 on his gun same problem.

When I was hunting with my Monarch, one morning I had an emerald green blotching, for lack of a better word, on the lense. I speculate it was some sort of glare and special set of lighting conditions. It would not have affected my shot had I had one and I never saw it again. The green was the same color as the coatings on the glass.

This did affected my shot. Because I had to switch guns.And by the time I did that and find the buck in my cross hairs he was going it to the brush and it was to late.The glare was to bright for me and my son we could barely see or tell where the edge of the field was or any thing else.

sunset and 580 yards away,better not to shoot anyway. If the animal didn't drop it would be difficult to know if you hit, or to find him if you did.

580 yards is relatively short range.....my 8 year old son can ring the 600 yard gong like its nothing, why would that short of a range make it better not to shoot? 600 yards low wind, thats a gimme shot.

"580 yards is relatively short range"....
beating my chest like a lowland gorilla..!!

No its not and anyone that thinks so is foolish!

I see similar statements all the time..." that 7x7 elk bull is only 2 miles away....cut into him ,you might get lucky and wound him". Utter horse manure and hog wash

Sorry to disagree with your "hogwash" comment but yes it is relatively short range. For anyone with decent equipment its a chip shot....

Hogwash? Really? Are you trolling?

For someone with no rangefinder and an innacurate factory rifle, sure 600 seems like a world away, but for a precision firearm and a mildly competent shooter...its easy.

But yes i guess i see your point, for a minute of pie plate hunter with a factory rifle and factory ammo it is a bad idea to shoot 200 yards.

Hogwash....i am flabbergasted really.

Stinkin trolls.....

Yea i just looked up some of you past posts sully L O L.

You are a troll for sure gosh, i leave you to your...trolling. Resorting to "hogwash" and "foolish". Sorry fella but all i can say is if your rifle isnt accurate or your eyesight is terrible or something, then dont shoot 600. Sorry you cant do it. Maybe you could get better or something? 600 is easy for many people on this board, my 8 year old son routinely shoots 600 and has yet to miss the 600 yd gong.

And as for the gorilla comment, i now know of at least one gorilla on lrh....congrats sully.

Yea i just looked up some of you past posts sully L O L.

You are a troll for sure gosh, i leave you to your...trolling. Resorting to "hogwash" and "foolish". Sorry fella but all i can say is if your rifle isnt accurate or your eyesight is terrible or something, then dont shoot 600. Sorry you cant do it. Maybe you could get better or something? 600 is easy for many people on this board, my 8 year old son routinely shoots 600 and has yet to miss the 600 yd gong.

And as for the gorilla comment, i now know of at least one gorilla on lrh....congrats sully.

I never said even once that my rifles werent capable enough to make an accurate 600 yd shot...but Im also not the one to make a statement alluding that a 600 yd shot is something that even a blind 8 yr old can easily make.

IMHO your just one more of these 2 mile shot blowhards that post on this BB. Not that you might not make such a shot....but trying to tell others that they are "less" if they havent or cant or WONT tale such a shot. All BS

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts