Rail for the Model 70 - what would you do?

Should I;

• Pin a EGW HD rail

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Pin a Warne Mountain tech rail

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Use a steel one (NF or NEAR)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Use the MDT, even though it's half as strong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go back to Remington

• Remington, no way! Full custom rail!

• Epoxy an EGW HD rail

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Hand Skills

I'm looking for rails for a couple of pre '64 Model 70 long actions.

Essentially I'm looking for a Seekins rail, but they do not to my knowledge manufacture one for the Winchester action.

EGW HD is 7075 Al, but no recoil lug.
MDT makes a nice one with lug, but uses 6061.
Murphy precision makes sweet TI rails, no lug...

In 2019 am I really stuck pinning a rail if I want a lightweight, high strength rail for a Model 70 w/ 3.805" spacing?

:(

Any encouragement is appreciated!

Last edited:
It's been too long since I had mine installed to remember. It's also possible the smith putting the rifle together made it.

Poll not working!

I just put a rail on a model 70 long action.. it was a Badger Ordnance. fit better than any other I have tried in the last 12 years. just something to look into.

I just put a rail on a model 70 long action.. it was a Badger Ordnance. fit better than any other I have tried in the last 12 years. just something to look into.

Badger Ord. Makes good stuff. Unfortunately they only do a M70 rail in steel at this time.

I know it's a small thing, but my aluminum rails weigh about 2.5oz, my steel ones are over 5oz. To me ~3oz is significant.

Last edited:
I updated the poll to include 'epoxy an EGW rail'.

Realized that instead of pinning into the action, I could pin or dado a lug into the rail itself and leave the action unmodified.

It seems we have exhausted all alternatives. Seems I should order up an EGW and see where it takes me.

Thanks for the input gents!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.