What rifle would you buy?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by John Richard, May 14, 2006.

1. John Richard

John Richard New Member

I'm looking at a Steyer SSG PIV, a Accuracy International and a Sako TRG 42. All are a 338 Lapua cal. Accuracy is what I'm looking for out of the three. Thanks

2. daveosok

daveosok Guest

For the 3 to 4k price tag for most of the rifles you listed I would get a custom made rifle in 338 something if that’s the round you want.

You can get a custom rifle for a lot less and have no doubts it will be accurate.

There are a lot of variants of the 338 caliber including the 338 Lapua but a lot of them will out-do the Lapua.

For price and similarities the 338 Tomahawk with its cheaper brass prices and almost comparable velocities, standard rifle action, and ease of loading makes it a superb candidate for a custom rifle.

You can build a high quality 338 on a AICS stock for a lot cheaper than buying one from them.

3. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Writers Guild

No question..the AI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. John Richard

John Richard New Member

Let me put it this way. Out of the three which is the better one and or would you all suggest another rifle? The second post has a good suggestion and I do have a great rifle maker in my area.

5. Meister

Meister Well-Known Member

Another vote for the AI. I'm a 338 LM freak, and it would be my 2nd chioce for a rifle. My first choice is a Erma SR-100 in the same caliber. Spectacular rifle! I hated to hear when they went under. If you can find one, buy it.

6. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

I would go custom,but of the one that you mentioned I would choose the AI

7. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

That is good advice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. daveosok

daveosok Guest

I would go with the AI also if I wasnt building a custom.

9. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

I have owned 2 AI AWM's in 338 and both shot great but sold them earlier this year to build competition guns. If I were making the choice from the options listed go with the AI as it has good resale while a custom depending on who builds it does not.

10. accuratebrass

accuratebrass Active Member

Go custom. For the money you are spending, there is no savings. It is a no brainer. You can build EXACTLY what you want for the same price.

You pick the trigger, stock, barrell, and gunsmith! Its like being a kid in a candy store.

I have a custom 338 Lapua. It fits me like a glove!

11. Brent-AR-30-338

Brent-AR-30-338 Well-Known Member

12. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

If you are looking at spending 3-4K then by all means go the custom route. you can build a rifle that will shoot rings around what you have talked about and all to your specs.

Action $1300 BAT less for others (1.650" Lawton is $795)

Barrel $300-400 pick mftr,taper,length (go Broughton)

Stock $500 McMillan or laminated finished

Trigger $200 or less

Chambering $200 or less min SAAMI specs)

bedding $200 or less

tapered bases and rings $200

muzzle brake $150-200

BH

13. TheCanuck

TheCanuck Well-Known Member

Custom is the way to go. and regarding action choice, Surgeon is coming out with a LA with a boltface to suit the .338lm

14. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Bwana,
    I have to agree with the custom rifle. I also would like to coment that if it was me doing it, it would have to be one of the many awesome gunsmiths in this forum. After reading about their work for so many folks and the customers feed back it would be, for me, the only way to go.
    Take your Pick:

User Name: Fiftydriver
    Name: Kirby Allen

User Name: chris matthews
    Name: Chris Matthews

User Name: Shawn Carlock
    Name: Shawn Carlock

Do not worry about the order listed, pick one and you'll be happy. Your rifle WILL SHOOT GREAT!

Good Luck to You!