Raccoons getting my feeder help?

jeffreyjwilliams

It appears that raccoons have been causing havoc on my feeder. They were able to knock down the feeder motor. Any suggestions on raccoon proofing my set up? Barbed wire? Metal sheet around the tree?
Picture 1 shows it stretched out on the motor. Picture 2 shows the corn on the ground and no motor. Lucky the motor is in tact and will be re set up this coming week.

This is in Arkansas. The feeder is hung to avoid bears.

Attachments

• 9DFC1D56-383C-42B9-A267-C74E1D7BF77A.jpeg
    9DFC1D56-383C-42B9-A267-C74E1D7BF77A.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 225F69C3-2631-4B90-AA91-BD99F4EFB252.jpeg
    225F69C3-2631-4B90-AA91-BD99F4EFB252.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 321
We use varmint cages, you can buy them or make your own. The cage needs to be strong enough and the mesh small enough.

Last edited:
It appears that raccoons have been causing havoc on my feeder. They were able to knock down the feeder motor. Any suggestions on raccoon proofing my set up? Barbed wire? Metal sheet around the tree?
Picture 1 shows it stretched out on the motor. Picture 2 shows the corn on the ground and no motor. Lucky the motor is in tact and will be re set up this coming week.

This is in Arkansas. The feeder is hung to avoid bears.
You are too close to the tree. Go about 5' off the tree or use a Tripod with slick poles. We hung feeders in the middle 10'-12' between trees and 8' high bottom of feeder. This Bear proofs them also. Use a pully system to fill it. If bears don't use tripod.

You are too close to the tree. Go about 5' off the tree or use a Tripod with slick poles. We hung feeders in the middle 10'-12' between trees and 8' high bottom of feeder. This Bear proofs them also. Use a pully system to fill it. If bears don't use tripod.
Yeah. I agree. The hanger I bought is obviously too short. I was looking for an option with my current set up (using razor wire around the tree or a piece Of sheet metal).

Jeff,

If you don't want to raise or move your feeder, you have a couple options.

1) Purchase and install "The Eliminator" spinner plate. Make sure you get the correct spindle size for your motor. This will cut off the food access for the corn bandits. This spinner plate works great and they can not physically spin it down from the funnel. Couple others mentioned varmint cages. You will need to do both or you will most likely find your motor on the ground again.

2) As someone earlier mentioned, place a few dog proof canister type traps in close vicinity. Bait them with "golden nugget" or just plain corn. Capture, remove, repeat.

Good luck.

Jeff,

If you don't want to raise or move your feeder, you have a couple options.

1) Purchase and install "The Eliminator" spinner plate. Make sure you get the correct spindle size for your motor. This will cut off the food access for the corn bandits. This spinner plate works great and they can not physically spin it down from the funnel. Couple others mentioned varmint cages. You will need to do both or you will most likely find your motor on the ground again.

2) As someone earlier mentioned, place a few dog proof canister type traps in close vicinity. Bait them with "golden nugget" or just plain corn. Capture, remove, repeat.

Good luck.
This is the best advice you're gunna get. I couldn't agree more with everything said here