Help my partner

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Boom, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Boom

Boom Well-Known Member

My shooting partner is taking the next step: he is ready and able to shoot 600-800 yards. Working with a relatively tight budget but wanting quality. Priority is white tail and pigs at 600-800 and paper at 1000 yards. Recoil is a concern, thus he prefers a break. He asked me for suggestions, here is what I came up with:

Savage 111 LRH in 7mm Mag (comes with a break)

Sightron SIII 6-24X50mm LRMOA

EGW 20 MOA base and rings

Am I on the right track?

2. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

Yes. I think he will be happy with the Savage, and down the road he can get a more ergonomic stock if he likes. The Sightron scopes have gotten many positive reviews. I would look into a Vortex PST 6-24 first focal plane or second focal plane, both under $1000 . The FFP would make it easier to range using the reticle, they are a little more expensive. I like the EGW bases. Burris sells some decent scope rings, XTR's, that are less expensive than EGW's offering.

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I think he will be quite happy with the 111 LRH, accurate rifle with a good trigger. The SIII & PST should be neck & neck, don't be shy to scout the used optics section either... The Burris XTR rings do work quite well, they hold up to my 338RUM & 300 SMK's... I have no experience with EGW, sorry I can't help there.

4. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

Yes, you nailed it.

Gary

5. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

That would be a great first setup!

Tank

6. Boom

Boom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I agree Vortex should be in the mix but I have to admit I am a little curious about the Sightron's,I wouldn't mind seeing one!:rolleyes: My bigger concern is the rifle. I have a Savage FLCP-K in .308 that is a great out of the box shooter but have not been able to find out much about the LRH line.

7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Emphasis mine.

Definitely not. The Classified sections here, over at Sniper's Hide, and Ebay are good places to cruise. I have gotten some very good deals on quality glass via all three.