Help my partner

Boom

My shooting partner is taking the next step: he is ready and able to shoot 600-800 yards. Working with a relatively tight budget but wanting quality. Priority is white tail and pigs at 600-800 and paper at 1000 yards. Recoil is a concern, thus he prefers a break. He asked me for suggestions, here is what I came up with:

Savage 111 LRH in 7mm Mag (comes with a break)

Sightron SIII 6-24X50mm LRMOA

EGW 20 MOA base and rings

Am I on the right track?

Yes. I think he will be happy with the Savage, and down the road he can get a more ergonomic stock if he likes. The Sightron scopes have gotten many positive reviews. I would look into a Vortex PST 6-24 first focal plane or second focal plane, both under $1000 . The FFP would make it easier to range using the reticle, they are a little more expensive. I like the EGW bases. Burris sells some decent scope rings, XTR's, that are less expensive than EGW's offering.

I think he will be quite happy with the 111 LRH, accurate rifle with a good trigger. The SIII & PST should be neck & neck, don't be shy to scout the used optics section either... The Burris XTR rings do work quite well, they hold up to my 338RUM & 300 SMK's... I have no experience with EGW, sorry I can't help there.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree Vortex should be in the mix but I have to admit I am a little curious about the Sightron's,I wouldn't mind seeing one!:rolleyes: My bigger concern is the rifle. I have a Savage FLCP-K in .308 that is a great out of the box shooter but have not been able to find out much about the LRH line.

I think he will be quite happy with the 111 LRH, accurate rifle with a good trigger. The SIII & PST should be neck & neck, don't be shy to scout the used optics section either... The Burris XTR rings do work quite well, they hold up to my 338RUM & 300 SMK's... I have no experience with EGW, sorry I can't help there.
Emphasis mine.

Definitely not. The Classified sections here, over at Sniper's Hide, and Ebay are good places to cruise. I have gotten some very good deals on quality glass via all three.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.