My Hunting Partner Gone but Not Forgotten

I never feel so in touch with my lost loved ones as I do sitting in a stand and all the beauty surrounding you. I'm sorry for your loss but you'll have the great memories

Well, last Thursday morning I woke up before dawn thinking about my dad (who died a few days before), planning the funeral in my head, and reminiscing all the good times we had in the woods.

I could hear him chastising me for not hunting on the ranch much and me telling him I was saving the deer for my kids and grandkids!

As I lay there I started thinking I could at least go sit on the stand and watch the sun come up and spend time with my thoughts alone. So I got dressed, grabbed my rifle and walked quietly to the stand. I saw several young bucks and a few doe. They all made their way back into the brush and I was about to leave when some movement caught my eye…

Dad, I know you would be happy! I shot a buck at the ranch for the first time in 15-20 years. Turned out to be the biggest ever taken at the ranch!

Oh: 7RM, ACTAR, 168 ABLR's, 200 yards - DRT
Well, last Thursday morning I woke up before dawn thinking about my dad (who died a few days before), planning the funeral in my head, and reminiscing all the good times we had in the woods.

I could hear him chastising me for not hunting on the ranch much and me telling him I was saving the deer for my kids and grandkids!

As I lay there I started thinking I could at least go sit on the stand and watch the sun come up and spend time with my thoughts alone. So I got dressed, grabbed my rifle and walked quietly to the stand. I saw several young bucks and a few doe. They all made their way back into the brush and I was about to leave when some movement caught my eye…

Dad, I know you would be happy! I shot a buck at the ranch for the first time in 15-20 years. Turned out to be the biggest ever taken at the ranch!

Oh: 7RM, ACTAR, 168 ABLR's, 200 yards - DRT
So sorry for your loss, But don't worry. Your Dad was with you and saw the deer you shot,
It's great you have loving memories of him that you'll never forget because one thing is definitely certain in life.
Your never promised tomorrow!!

I was elk hunting in NM on Oct 27; we spotted a monster elk at 640 yards from the truck, but it just didn't feel right hopping out of the truck and shooting him, so we made a stalk that proved to be futile. I called my MN deer hunting buddy of 33 years but he didn't answer. That night I shot a different elk and posted pics on a five way text. Three other guys commented but my deer hunting pal did not. I learned the next morning he had taken his own life.

I didn't have the heart to go back to the shack this year; I might not ever - too many memories. Instead, I hunted with an old college roommate who now lives in Grand Rapids. Had a good time, but my friend's death closed a chapter in my own life I was not ready to finish. I will miss him greatly.

I was elk hunting in NM on Oct 27; we spotted a monster elk at 640 yards from the truck, but it just didn't feel right hopping out of the truck and shooting him, so we made a stalk that proved to be futile. I called my MN deer hunting buddy of 33 years but he didn't answer. That night I shot a different elk and posted pics on a five way text. Three other guys commented but my deer hunting pal did not. I learned the next morning he had taken his own life.

I didn't have the heart to go back to the shack this year; I might not ever - too many memories. Instead, I hunted with an old college roommate who now lives in Grand Rapids. Had a good time, but my friend's death closed a chapter in my own life I was not ready to finish. I will miss him greatly.
Wow I am so sorry!
That's one of the reasons we work with wounded vets here at the ranch - 22 per day is 22 too many!

Yes taking to the woods will be different from now on - but I will still make the trip in honor of my forefathers before me and to mark the trail for my grandchildren and (recently) great grandchildren!

The life of a woodsman has been our heritage all the way back to 1656, and I have done my part to ensure my children and their children know how to honor the land and the game we take!

Blessings on you and yours this Time of Giving Thanks!