R19 cold temps issues anyone?

I use r19 in my 6.5-284 with 147elds. I found my best load in 50+ degree. I shot a couple weeks ago at 1292 and 1351 in 20 deg temps. The dope was .2 lower than Shooter called for, but I didnt test with chrono.

Did you rerun the numbers at the new temperature to see how much your drop would change based on the air temp alone?

Not reloader 19 but in 30-06 I loaded ramshot hunter over WLRM primers, 180 gr Sierra pro hunter, in AMP annealed Winchester brass. At 68-70 degrees I got 2768 ft/sec and throwing them in my freezer for ~2 hours at 2 degrees I got 2711 ft/sec. ES and SD stage the same. Lots of factors at play though. Bearing surface of the bullet, neck tension on the brass, primer powder relationship, and burn rate relative to case capacity. It seems to me some powders are inclined to have less sensitivity than others but maybe even the "bad" ones have sweet spots/preferred conditions.

With CCI 200's and the same load my ES/SD was horrible and the horizontal stringing was crazy. Just switching primers got me a sub 10 Es and sub MOA accuracy.

Did you rerun the numbers at the new temperature to see how much your drop would change based on the air temp alone?
Yes sir. I punched in the correct numbers but there could have been many factors. I was in the snow with a different rear bag setup (my sig 2000). I was shooting up at 9deg. Input that also

Some m
Yes sir. I punched in the correct numbers but there could have been many factors. I was in the snow with a different rear bag setup (my sig 2000). I was shooting up at 9deg. Input that also

Some more data fodder might be checking the stability of the round. It likely doesn't matter but in the case of a marginally stable round a drop in in temp and or altitude could compromise the BC to a degree. Luckily there is no shortage a variables

When I lived in Texas, I tried to workup all loads in hot summertime. I hunted in 32 deg at the coldest, and since all my shots were under 300yds I never noticed any changes. I moved to Utah, still worked up loads in hot summer, but when it got colder than 32 deg, some loads shot OK and some rounds got wonky. So I just work up some loads during the 30's and check "them" when its over 85 deg. Backasswards….what a crazy world! ha Fortunately for me, I am not a LRH, so I just point and shoot and hold up if needed. :)

I
Some m

Some more data fodder might be checking the stability of the round. It likely doesn't matter but in the case of a marginally stable round a drop in in temp and or altitude could compromise the BC to a degree. Luckily there is no shortage a variables
I shoot mostly in the winter months at near sea level. It's common for me to have a DA of -2500. As much as temps effect the burn rate DA is more proportionate to account for changes in dope even if your speed of the bullet doesn't change outside of 15fps

I forgot, I had a buddy shoot 3 3 shot groups at 500, adjusted the scope and left it till I went out to 1300+. He wanted to see why I told him he needs a 6.5-284 :) That could have accounted for the difference at range

One of my lapua cases(below the bullseye) was snuck in with the winchester brass.
D3345922-366F-4B77-B59E-8FF17139FBF7.jpeg

Especially in '06 size cases, i.e. .270, 30-06? By cold (10-32 deg) issues I mean velocity loss or accuracy loss, changed your zero, etc? I really like it in the 240W, but was wondering what anyone's experience was? I want to try it in a .270Win and 129 LRX. Any help appreciated :)

Im gonna do a test maybe this weekend with reloader 19 & 26. I will Test 60 degree and somewhere in the teens. I will record and post the difference.

I've talked with several guys who used R17 in the magnum sized cases, in cold and had no issues. Another guy uses it in his 6.5 Creedmoor with no issues in cold either. Only issues I had with R26/270W was when the temp got around 85 deg with a load I had worked up around 40 deg. I expected that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.