R19 cold temps issues anyone?

RevJim

Especially in '06 size cases, i.e. .270, 30-06? By cold (10-32 deg) issues I mean velocity loss or accuracy loss, changed your zero, etc? I really like it in the 240W, but was wondering what anyone's experience was? I want to try it in a .270Win and 129 LRX. Any help appreciated :)

Yup Your going to see it change. You need to shoot it over a chrongraph from a mean temp. I load usually in September and October. I expect to hunt in 40 degree temps early and 20 late. I shoot 59 grains with the 165 upto 50 degrees. Colder temps you need to adjust the load to stay in the speed the gun wants to shoot.might be .2 grains more at 30 and another .1-.2 at 15-20. Your rifle may not shoot well in a top node it may like less speed and you have to load and test accordingly.
It's not as clean as other powders however in the 06 when it's in tune you will smile alot. Keep a book and write it down you will be fine.
If your see 2800fps with the 178 eldx at 45 you'd see 2769 at 20 and 2819 at 60. This is based on the hornady app. In real life it's fairly close to that.

Especially in '06 size cases, i.e. .270, 30-06? By cold (10-32 deg) issues I mean velocity loss or accuracy loss, changed your zero, etc? I really like it in the 240W, but was wondering what anyone's experience was? I want to try it in a .270Win and 129 LRX. Any help appreciated :)
I have not experimented with R19 specifically but any powder not the extreme or enduron families are effected some. Alliant now too has a few powders said to not be bothered by temperature. I have a friend who experimented with this several years ago before the new generation of powders arrived. He said the bigger the case the less the difference. He shot these tests at 70, 0 , and at -20. The magnums were not effected as much as the 06 family and they in turn were effected less than the 22-250 and swift class. My experience is a grain or 2 difference between winter and summer shooting.

Interested in this topic in real world experience. One of my 7mm loads I use rl 19 and have had a concern going from 70 degrees load work up to around zero degree. For this I've tried a lot of the extreme powder but the gun really likes rl 19
On a note I referenced this chart long ago and it has gave me concern on rl 19
upload_2020-1-14_21-12-40.png

You wrote degrees temperature per fps. So the big numbers should be more stable? Yet the hodgdons extreme powders have very small numbers. Maybe it should be FPS per degree?

It's closer to 1fps per degree in my 06. One 1/10th of a grain is ~15fps with a standard primer and the easiest way to slow down that change is a mag primer below 30. If you don't map it out in your gun there is no way to know.
I run Rl 15 in my 08 for 165-180's It shoots better than 4064 and way better than varget in my rifle. I always have 2 charges in my shooter's bag.Currently 43.1and 43.3. I also have 43.6 loaded up for when it gets really cold. This keeps my load in that 2635ish node that this rifle wants to shoot 168smk's at. It's work and if you don't have a lot of time it's not for everyone. It is very satisfing though when your rifle shoots as expected every time it's out in the light.

It's closer to 1fps per degree in my 06. One 1/10th of a grain is ~15fps with a standard primer and the easiest way to slow down that change is a mag primer below 30. If you don't map it out in your gun there is no way to know.
I run Rl 15 in my 08 for 165-180's It shoots better than 4064 and way better than varget in my rifle. I always have 2 charges in my shooter's bag.Currently 43.1and 43.3. I also have 43.6 loaded up for when it gets really cold. This keeps my load in that 2635ish node that this rifle wants to shoot 168smk's at. It's work and if you don't have a lot of time it's not for everyone. It is very satisfing though when your rifle shoots as expected every time it's out in the light.
In the norma reloading manual they have a section on primers and by their testing the federal primers show the best in the cold.

One thing not mentioned in that chart is load density. It can have little to dramatic effect on how "sensitive" a powder can be. It's the same with primers. A hot primer in a less than 100% load density charge can be extremely temperamental but if that load were to have a 100% case fill safely it may stabilize. Other times a different primer must be used to get the desired results.

One thing not mentioned in that chart is load density. It can have little to dramatic effect on how "sensitive" a powder can be. It's the same with primers. A hot primer in a less than 100% load density charge can be extremely temperamental but if that load were to have a 100% case fill safely it may stabilize. Other times a different primer must be used to get the desired results.
Good points. But I am a full case guy so I have not noticed it.

I use r19 in my 6.5-284 with 147elds. I found my best load in 50+ degree. I shot a couple weeks ago at 1292 and 1351 in 20 deg temps. The dope was .2 lower than Shooter called for, but I didnt test with chrono.

charts like this gave me concerns long ago. I'm not sure how much it truly has it that's the Reason I've asked real world experience. Living in the south its hard to test extreme cold. But I'm going to test this with bullets in ice/ rock salt to get ammo as cold as I can and see what real world experience has affect on ammo. Only way Im going to know is test it to satisfy my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.