Quickload for 7mm-08

Trap708

Help, can someone out there that has Quickload do a fellow member a favor. I would be interested on A run involving a plain Jane 7mm-08 and my pertinent info. I'm currently trying to establish a load using Reloader 16. There's only 1 load published from Alliant and it involves a 160 grn Barnes bullet. I'm working with the 162 grn Hornady ELD-X. No manual has any data pertaining to Reloader 16. I just yesterday went to the range and shot my loadings which started at 42 grns to 44 grns in 0.5 grain increments. Loads shot extremely well but velocity at 44 grns only yielded 2615 fps. I'm hoping to be able to get a bit more velocity with powder and bullet. I've have since loaded up the next round of testers from 43 grns to 45 grns
to further test and try to come up with some max load data. Got to thinking with Quickload it would be another resource in my case.
So, if there's someone that could run for me I'd appreciate the info and your time!
My setup: 7mm-08, 22 inch barrel, Lapua Brass, BR-2 primers, Rel 16 powder, Hornady 162 ELD-X bullets (1.48" long seated to an cartridge overall length of 2.80" ( magazine controls length)).

I appreciate any help here as I further my load development and start testing what will approach the maximum side of things!

Help, can someone out there that has Quickload do a fellow member a favor. I would be interested on A run involving a plain Jane 7mm-08 and my pertinent info. I'm currently trying to establish a load using Reloader 16. There's only 1 load published from Alliant and it involves a 160 grn Barnes bullet. I'm working with the 162 grn Hornady ELD-X. No manual has any data pertaining to Reloader 16. I just yesterday went to the range and shot my loadings which started at 42 grns to 44 grns in 0.5 grain increments. Loads shot extremely well but velocity at 44 grns only yielded 2615 fps. I'm hoping to be able to get a bit more velocity with powder and bullet. I've have since loaded up the next round of testers from 43 grns to 45 grns
to further test and try to come up with some max load data. Got to thinking with Quickload it would be another resource in my case.
So, if there's someone that could run for me I'd appreciate the info and your time!
My setup: 7mm-08, 22 inch barrel, Lapua Brass, BR-2 primers, Rel 16 powder, Hornady 162 ELD-X bullets (1.48" long seated to an cartridge overall length of 2.80" ( magazine controls length)).

I appreciate any help here as I further my load development and start testing what will approach the maximum side of things!

Sorry, have not tried RL16 before. I see RL15, 17 and 19 on the manuals for Hornady, Sierra and Nosler for the 7mm-08 but no RL16 at all.

I use mostly IMR powders and barely begun testing RL19 on my 7mm Rem Mag.

I use mostly IMR-4064 on my Remington 700 7mm-08.

So this is obviously just an estimate and should be worked up to as with all reloading and I'm using Quickloads established case capacity which yours is likely different but here you go. Your case capacity is likely higher than what Quickload has stored for the 7-08 as your velocities are less than Quickload is predicting but I have no way of knowing. There is a lot to tweak to make things track right such as powder burn rate which varies from lot to lot.

Attachments

• IMG_5720.JPG
    IMG_5720.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 262
QL shows RL16 at 105% case fill (41.5 grains) with velocity at 2568 FPS. 43.5 grains is at 110% case capacity and should give you 2,692 FPS. RL16 is really slow for this round. I've had great luck with RL15 in my 7mm-08. Send me your email and I'll send you quickload data.

QL shows RL16 at 105% case fill (41.5 grains) with velocity at 2568 FPS. 43.5 grains is at 110% case capacity and should give you 2,692 FPS. RL16 is really slow for this round. I've had great luck with RL15 in my 7mm-08. Send me your email and I'll send you quickload data.
Thanks for your time and effort! Trying to achieve a targeted velocity with a specific bullet of preference. There's just not any data for this powder. I wanted to try the R16 due to temp insensitivity and it's decoppering agent. R16 Powder burn speed, I could not find info on either. Reloader 17 so far with my load interest is the velocity champ of powders I've tried to date. Powder Burn rates are Ramshot Hunter slowest tested, followed by Rel 17 (faster than Hunter) both powders chosen were based on Manuals ( Nosler, Hornadies latest ). My assumption (knowing what that does on occasion) was then to try Rel 16. Thinking Velocity with Rel 17 is good and achievable and if Rel 16 is between both
Rel 17 and Rel 15 then 16 ought to be the ticket. Anyhow, my logic with wanting to try R16. So far with the few rounds tested (11) my testing seems to point to more slower powder Like Hunter and very good accuracy as with Hunter.

Thanks for your time and effort! Trying to achieve a targeted velocity with a specific bullet of preference. There's just not any data for this powder. I wanted to try the R16 due to temp insensitivity and it's decoppering agent. R16 Powder burn speed, I could not find info on either. Reloader 17 so far with my load interest is the velocity champ of powders I've tried to date. Powder Burn rates are Ramshot Hunter slowest tested, followed by Rel 17 (faster than Hunter) both powders chosen were based on Manuals ( Nosler, Hornadies latest ). My assumption (knowing what that does on occasion) was then to try Rel 16. Thinking Velocity with Rel 17 is good and achievable and if Rel 16 is between both
Rel 17 and Rel 15 then 16 ought to be the ticket. Anyhow, my logic with wanting to try R16. So far with the few rounds tested (11) my testing seems to point to more slower powder Like Hunter and very good accuracy as with Hunter.
TN David forgot to provide E-mail
[email protected]

Thanks again!

So this is obviously just an estimate and should be worked up to as with all reloading and I'm using Quickloads established case capacity which yours is likely different but here you go. Your case capacity is likely higher than what Quickload has stored for the 7-08 as your velocities are less than Quickload is predicting but I have no way of knowing. There is a lot to tweak to make things track right such as powder burn rate which varies from lot to lot.
Thanks Buster for your time and efforts. See relative responses/replies to this thread! Thanks again guy's!! I'm pondering my next moves! Just not getting the velocity I want with the 16.

Point of clarification on powder burn speeds and relativity to Rel 16. My latest Lee loading manual lists the following powders with this burn speed category: ( slowest to fastest )

Ramshot Hunter (no 53)
Reloader 17 (no 50)
Reloader 15 ( no 45)

Reloader 16 ??? My testing so far seems to indicate results
R16 is a powder more comparable to Ramshot Hunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.