Quick modification of cheap hogue stock

18whlsrolin

I recently bought a M77 Hawkeye 270 that came with a pillar beded only hogue stock for $449. Just wanted a quality whitetail gun that could get beat up a bit without triggering my OCD I have with most of my wood stocked guns. The tip of the forend contacted the barrel with just the least bit of pressure. I had trouble getting it to group better than 2" (even with reloads). I used a dremel to grind down the end (which is highest area) until I reached hard plastic frame. I did clean it up a bit better than what you see in the photo. Groups improved to about one inch at 100 yards. I also torqued action screw to 70lbs which could have helped also. Forend can still be made to contact barrel but it isn't easily done. Accuracy isn't picky with differing loads either. The scope is a Redfield revenge model that comes with caliber specific turrets for quick adjustments out to 500 yards. It's a good scope for the money and works perfectly with my 140gr partition reloads. They must calibrate them for flat back soft points and not ballistic tip boat tails cause every load I make with boat tails shoots high at 500 after sighting in at 100. Not a great rig for hunting past 500 yards or precision target but it'll work for my whitetail hunting inside of 500 yards.
WP_20180122_10_56_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20180122_10_57_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20180122_10_58_23_Pro (1).jpg
WP_20180119_14_29_54_Pro.jpg

Get a couple broke/cheap/used carbon arrows, cut them to a length that will fit length ways down in the forend and glass them in. If you use carbon arrows and fill them with your epoxy before you glass them in they can easily be trimmed down and sanded smooth if they sit proud up in the barrel channel. It's a cheap way to stiffen up the forend.

It will certainly help. Think of it like adding reinforcing rod to concrete. You will almost always get some flex if you torque on it enough but doing something to add rigidity to the stock will help. The only real fix is a better stock but that can get expensive.

If only there was a little more in the way of aftermarket for the M77.. I've waffled on getting a Hogue for mine, I like the way they feel but I know the flex is an issue.

That was my thought. I think I'll just stick it out with the wood stock and go for a McMillan if I decide to upgrade. Good to know that there are options out there to make something serviceable

I've debated that as well. I'm interested to see what hand loading does for my rifle.. if I can shrink my groups from factory ammo I'll be in tack driver territory.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.