Quick easy cheap way to clean brass

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Heya guys... I just responded to a post by Boom asking about how to clean the media out of his primer pockets after tumbling his brass... 100 308 cartridges. I started writing how I clean brass without a tumbler and just figured that a video would explain it better. If I've got a 100 or less rifle cartridges to clean.... I use this method.

I thought since I already made the video... I'd just share it as a post.

It's really simple, cost effective, fast, there's no cleanup or waiting for your brass to dry, and it doesn't work-harden your brass.

What I use:
Drill
Fine or super fine steel wool
.45 acp nylon brush. (Good for 7mms to 308 sized cases)
Gun cleaning bit to insert the brush

Here's all there is to it. Obviously you could use a smaller nylon brush for tighter necked cartridges. I just use my worn out nylon brushes for reloading when I replace them with new ones for cleaning my guns.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYksp1U3guQ]Accurate Reloading 101 - #3 - Cleaning Brass Fast Cheap & Easy - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Cool idea, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Slopes. If I just want to bust out some cartridges fast, I've found that this is just a simple way of doing it and it'd be awesome if others started posting things they do that might be a little out of the norm. I believe this group has a tremendous amount of knowledge and I bet if we compiled some of the best practices members use... We'd all improve our craft, or come across other ways of doing things we hadn't thought of.

For this...I just figure most reloaders have a gun cleaning kit or three... So this is a pretty easy way to get brass clean if you're in a hurry and don't want to tumble or put them in the ultrasonic.

Appreciate the kind response.

No, dry tumbling or vibratory cleaning does not 'work harden' brass.
And there is no advantage to what you're doing here over standard media cleaning.
I figure someone should inform you of these things.

I do believe we go too far with cleaning,, we make too much of it, and sometimes to detriment.
But we don't have to go back to the dark ages either.

Lol... Mikecr... You crack me up. I don't consider this by any means to be the dark ages, otherwise I'd be buffing arrow tips.

This method has really been beneficial to me as I can bust out 40 rounds before my tumbler could even start to get its teeth into it's cleaning and if I was a single man, I'd run the thing at night when I was sleeping, but the vibrating keeps me wife up... Even when in the basement. Neighbors don't like it much better when I tried the back porch.

Ultrasonic was on my mind as an alternative, but this works so well and takes so little time I've since decided to save the cash. If I have hundreds of rounds to clean, my buddy is very willing to tumble them for me, but I prefer to rely on him only when need be.

I believe there is a place for quickly cleaning small batches of brass without the need for an ultrasonic, or tumbler, certainly is for me. Just because these pants don't fit you, doesn't mean they won fit others.

Now I'm not sure the difference between shooting brass that's not cleaned at all vs cleaned... Never tried, but I can attest that cleaning brass does aid in ease of examining for issues, spent powder does get expelled from the body, and the inside of the necks are uniformly clean. If only shoot 100-300 yards... Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I'm thinking that at longer distances, the more uniformity I can create from one case to the next... the better.

Boss

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts