Inexpensive way to clean brass

rcol317

I thought I'd share something I discovered this past year. A friend was in my shop and saw my cleaning brass prep area and said I should share this idea. Probably nothing new and many of you know of this but I purchased "on sale" from Harbor Freight the single drum rotary rock tumbler for $29. I then order stainless steel tumbling pins for another $15 from an internet seller and with a bottle of Lemishine had an in expensive and compact brass cleaning system. The rubber tumbler is quiet and takes only a couple hours and comes out perfect. Have also added another tumbler and now use it to moly coat my bullets. I don't use this all the time but after 3-4 shootings it's nice the clean the brass up and keep on loading. Good shooting

Thanks for sharing, a lot of us use the s media method
Add a little lem shine and liquid soap as well

I bought a bottle of some kinda liquid brass cleaner, I mix a real weak amount with distilled water in a big jug.

Add brass then spend the day doing my normal thing driving around. Every once in a while I shake the jug the shuffle the brass.

Once more at night time, then once in the morning.
After breakfast I flush the brass, then let dry.

Easy quick and fast.
1000 brass per jug.
The liquid stuff lasts me about a year per 3 to 5000 brass cleanings.

They say the liquid cleaner is suppose to be used in a sonic vibration system,,, that what the passenger side floor board in my truck does.

Don

D A P : How do you dry them, I would think if just left laying on something some of the solution would puddle in side the case and take a long time to evaporate, Do you stand them up a certain way or put them in the oven to dry them? Good luck hunting and be safe.

I use compressed air to get most of the water out and then put them in a loading block. You can put them case head up to ensure no remaining water drips down to the flash hole.

I know soap and water does a great job with agitation. Sure it won't get them as clean as tumbling or sonic cleaning. Makes we wonder if putting brass in a 5 gal bucket with soap and water and putting it on the dryer would do a half decent job.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts