Quick Disconnect Cup Install

mikemo4032

Hello All, I have an AG Alpine Hunter carbon fiber stock that I'd like better if it had a quick disconnect rifle sling. I am more than a little concerned about drilling holes in the butt and forend of my new stock. I have a hobby shop drill press and the usual assortment of drill bits and had tools. Is there anything I must or must not do during this procedure? Is there any brand of cups I should use or not use. Thanks for your advice

Grovtec is as good as any for flush cups. I have seen people use spade bits and I personally have used a Forstner bit with mixed results (I am not the handiest person). I had the most success drilling the pilot hole small and slowly increase the diameter of the bit as not to chip the CF shell of the stock. Epoxy and thread in the cup and it should be solid.

Grovtec is as good as any for flush cups. I have seen people use spade bits and I personally have used a Forstner bit with mixed results (I am not the handiest person). I had the most success drilling the pilot hole small and slowly increase the diameter of the bit as not to chip the CF shell of the stock. Epoxy and thread in the cup and it should be solid.

One way that can help with chipping on a wood stock is to fit a piece of hard wood tightly to where you want to drill the hole, clamp it tightly into place, and then drill through it into the work piece. Any chipping that does occur will happen in the sacrificial piece of wood and not the stock.

I would assume that this technique will work on a CF stock, but I've not done it so no experience there.

One way that can help with chipping on a wood stock is to fit a piece of hard wood tightly to where you want to drill the hole, clamp it tightly into place, and then drill through it into the work piece. Any chipping that does occur will happen in the sacrificial piece of wood and not the stock.

I would assume that this technique will work on a CF stock, but I've not done it so no experience there.
Great. My cups are on order. I'll try that.

Grovetec is a quality brand that has been around for a while. I suggest the non rotating version to keep the sling from getting wound up but it's not a must. Let us know how it turns out.

One concern is to make sure not to drill too deep, especially on a curved surface. I had an expensive wood stock made that the cups were inset just far enough that my swivels wouldn't click in all the way.

One concern is to make sure not to drill too deep, especially on a curved surface. I had an expensive wood stock made that the cups were inset just far enough that my swivels wouldn't click in all the way.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I have a Manners stock to use as a template for that very issue

This is solid information, I've done a bunch this way and I tap the hole as well but it's not necessary

I did a laminate stock and had some of these issues, but overall, it went quite well and I carried a 14lb rifle hunting that hung off those!

If I were doing a composite stock, I think I would drill slightly smaller than full diameter, run the 9/16" tap in. Then cut out a small cavity in the foam behind the hole. Fill with epoxy all around and screw it into the stock creating hydraulic pressure to form the epoxy around the threads. This will make a strong nut of epoxy, IMO. Likely unremovable. They did make a nut that would be nice, if there is access.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.