Questions for US land owners.

scotsgun

Folks,
I'd be grateful if you could answer a few questions with regard to owning land in the US.

1. If you own a parcel of land, say a small ranch or farm, can you restrict access ? E.g. does the public or any other person have automatic right of access?

2. Provided you abide by the general hunting laws, seasons, etc, do you have the automatic hunting rights or must you apply/buy licences or tags from the state first ?

Marc

Private property can be closed to access barring a public right of way that might run through it. Must be posted as such in specific manners in AZ.

As for automatic hunting rights, in AZ, there is no landowner tags issued to the property owners. For big game, you must obtain a state issued hunting license, and also be drawn for the species you wish to hunt in the unit the property in located within.

1a. Yes
1b. No, unless there is a legal easement for right of way. ie. railroad, municipality (power, water, communications), emergency services, etc.
2. Each state owns it's wildlife. A license and tags, if required for specific game, are required to legally hunt. Land owners in some states get preferential consideration for the issuance of tags, quantity and price, but are still required to have a tag to harvest the specific game. The only caveat being, the protection of livestock and oneself against predation. States allow these actions to occur in real time and a report to be made at a later date.

1....If i remember correctly in Oregon's laws....unless it is a winter maintained road(same in idaho) the land owner can shut it down to access...if not maintained thru the entire year the landowners claim supersedes the state or county....thats what is happening above boise....texas guys bought the land and closed the access to a,lot of ground people used to hunt...now they have their own hunting grounds on blm lands because no-one else can access it.....which is BS....
2a....landowners in Oregon are required to have so much continuous properties before they can receive landowner tags....i think minimum was 1500 acres....owners still have to put in for whatever draw hunts their land is in...if they don't draw a hunt tag they can get a landowners preference tag...and those tags are allocated by amount of land holding they own.....not lease....
If they have lots of leased blm, state, or forest service they can not deny you the right to hunt it....but they ro not have to let you use their roads to access it....
2b....if the land they have leased is part of an agricultural use they have complete control....

In Tennessee private land is just that private, and for hunting deer land owners do not need a license and do not have to wear orange on their own private property but you must still check in any game taken. The only tags one must draw are the very coveted elk tag in eastern Tennessee in my area our season limit is two bucks per season and three does a day

In Tennessee private land is just that private, and for hunting deer land owners do not need a license and do not have to wear orange on their own private property but you must still check in any game taken. The only tags one must draw are the very coveted elk tag in eastern Tennessee in my area our season limit is two bucks per season and three does a day

This is the way I understand Georgia to be also.

1 additional requirement here is the Hunter must have a Hunter's safety course Card to obtain tags.

Tags are obtained wherever licenses are purchased.

Around home, Walmart, Bait & Tackle shops, Outdoor Stores, etc.. were the locations where Licenses were obtained.

Who knows for some of the more rural small towns will do now that Walmart is distancing itself from Firearms & Hunting.

It varies by state Nebraska you can limit access. You have a cheaper landowners tag to hunt deer turkeys not sure on small game. I believe you have to live in the state to get the tag I remember some people getting in trouble for landowners tags but not sure of story and did not look it up.

This is the way I understand Georgia to be also.

1 additional requirement here is the Hunter must have a Hunter's safety course Card to obtain tags.

Tags are obtained wherever licenses are purchased.

Around home, Walmart, Bait & Tackle shops, Outdoor Stores, etc.. were the locations where Licenses were obtained.

Who knows for some of the more rural small towns will do now that Walmart is distancing itself from Firearms & Hunting.
Like most states Tennessee requires a hunter safety card but I am exempt due to my age

Folks,
I'd be grateful if you could answer a few questions with regard to owning land in the US.

1. If you own a parcel of land, say a small ranch or farm, can you restrict access ? E.g. does the public or any other person have automatic right of access?

2. Provided you abide by the general hunting laws, seasons, etc, do you have the automatic hunting rights or must you apply/buy licences or tags from the state first ?

Marc
I will begin by saying that I am a farmer, and one of my properties is tax assessed as a farm, so I can answer this from the perspective of NJ (where our farm is located).

I own land in PA and NJ; in both states, if the land is posted, or if I tell someone to leave, then they must abide. The only access that they legally have to be on the property is if they are fishing on a body of water that does not sit entirely within the confines of my property boundaries. Technically, NJ owns all of the water in the state, but the person would need to trespass in order to gain access to it. PA is similar, to my knowledge. A person can fish the trout stream running through our land in PA, but they must be in the water to really get away with it. Some landowners get away with running a physical barrier, such as a rope, across the property boundary over a stream or river to prevent anglers from fishing water within the confines of their property. I have never seen this challenged, but I have heard that it's not technically legal to use that strategy. It is generally up to the landowner to make others aware of the no-trespassing rules. If the trespasser fails to respond to the directive and/or leave immediately, then LE or DNR is called in.

As for hunting, if you are a farmer and your property is tax assessed as a farm, then you can protect your crops and livestock from destruction with a legal firearm, regardless of season (in both PA and NJ, if I understand the laws correctly); this is generally limited to controlling predators and woodchucks. However, to hunt for sport, you must abide by the hunting regulations (there is a permit that farmers apply for in NJ which is free, and this includes deer, turkey, and black bear). According to NJ law, "A farmer and members of the immediate family who also reside on the farm may hunt, trap and fish on the farm without being licensed or possessing a valid rifle permit. All hunting, fishing and trapping must be conducted in the manner provided by law during the prescribed seasons."

I have family in KS who are commercial farmers, and I am given to understand that they can take deer during any time of the year (with the appropriate permit) if they are found to be damaging crops, however they generally seem reluctant to do so. As we are livestock farmers, we're concerned only with toothy-critters, of which there are plenty.

There are game preserves in various states where you can hunt out of season and without a license, but I believe that those are special cases relative to the typical land owner or farmer.

In the state of Iowa, private land is private access only. Anyone else would be trespassing without permission of the landowner.

As the son of the the landowner I must buy a tag to hunt deer on our property, my father can apply for a discounted landowner's tag as he is the primary tenant of the property.

We must follow all regulations of the state game commission regarding harvest, blaze orange requirements, weapons of use, etc.

If damage is happening to the crops, depredation tag(s) can be applied for allowing harvest of deer outside of normal hunting seasons.

There is very little public ground in our part of the state, greater than 95% being privately owned. Good to know the neighbors who grant us access to their property as well!

1....If i remember correctly in Oregon's laws....unless it is a winter maintained road(same in idaho) the land owner can shut it down to access...if not maintained thru the entire year the landowners claim supersedes the state or county....thats what is happening above boise....texas guys bought the land and closed the access to a,lot of ground people used to hunt...now they have their own hunting grounds on blm lands because no-one else can access it.....which is BS....
2a....landowners in Oregon are required to have so much continuous properties before they can receive landowner tags....i think minimum was 1500 acres....owners still have to put in for whatever draw hunts their land is in...if they don't draw a hunt tag they can get a landowners preference tag...and those tags are allocated by amount of land holding they own.....not lease....
If they have lots of leased blm, state, or forest service they can not deny you the right to hunt it....but they ro not have to let you use their roads to access it....
2b....if the land they have leased is part of an agricultural use they have complete control....
Can you rent a helo, fly in and get dropped off?

I know on a certain sheep hunt there is a spot that allows access by floating the river....but it is a very narrow unmarked spot to access the public lands.....being land is on opposite side of river the landowner does not have fo post or mark his boundary lines....
Helo....i did hear of guys wanting to be lifted in...do not know the outcome...i think it was thwarted because the pilot could not land his helo on the BLM lands.....special permits...

NC is much the same, with a main difference that I can kill as many as I want in a day up to my total season allotment. Then I have to request extra doe "tags"

I love a cold snap, kill maybe 4-5 in a day and hang them up to let them age in a tree high enough the yotes can't reach them.

Kentucky says I can post my land and refuse access to anyone. I pay a small fee and they have a monthly posted list in the local newspaper. That's all I need do..No fence or signs needed...Our landowner/tenant laws lets me hunt our place only. I buy a tag so I can hunt my friends places. Senior tags are cheap I can get everything for 25 bucks including deer and fishing! We check by phone or computer don't have to take it anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.