Question - Rem 700 Classic .264 WM

I had no idea it was that simple to "convert" a 7MM Rem Mag or 300 WM to .264 WM. I feel stupid for not knowing that.

So there's literally nothing else to it? Buy one of those guns, remove the old barrel and have a 6.5MM barrel installed, and voila, you can shoot .264 WM?
Literally that easy. Long action magnum bolt face.... you're a barrel away from a 264 win

Buy it, shoot it, THEN decide if you need to rebarrel it, I bet you won't have to.
Exactly! It will likely shoot most 140 gr and lighter hunting bullets accurately. Run your data inputs through the JBM Ballistics Stability calculator to gain insight as to performance you can reasonably expect.

Congrats on the find!

I had no idea it was that simple to "convert" a 7MM Rem Mag or 300 WM to .264 WM. I feel stupid for not knowing that.

So there's literally nothing else to it? Buy one of those guns, remove the old barrel and have a 6.5MM barrel installed, and voila, you can shoot .264 WM?
You will need a 6.5/ .264 barrel blank. The old 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag barrel will be took off. The gunsmith will thread it , cut the chamber with a 264 win mag reamer and install it with correct headspace on your rifle. Also crown the muzzle. It's no issue what so ever to rebarrel the other two chamberings to 264 win mag. You will have anywhere from around $300 to $400 in the labor for just chamber, thread and crown( basic rebarrel). The blank will cost you anywhere from $300-400 shipped. More if you want fluting. As others have mentioned, if you do go with the 264 you saw, go ahead and try it. You may not want to rebarrel if it shoots to your liking.

If there is a brand of brass that you like for quality or price in 7mm Rem Mag. You can use it instead of correct headstamped cases. You might have to turn the necks. But you might want to do that anyway. Make sure you choose a twist to match the bullets you intend shoot. I have made 11 and 9 twist .264 Win Mag rifles.

What!?? Why change anything? The .264 WM is what all the high velocity boys talk about. My problem is the .264 WM is very hard on barrels. It will shoot dead just about anything in North America and at a distance. Winchester developed this along with the .338 WM. A 1986 Remy 700's were still being made with good quality control.

WELL SAID ! The 2 I have owned had stainless barrels and would last the normal hunter a lifetime. Rapid fire in hot weather is a kiss of death for any magnum.
I use a barrel cooling blower in my 6.5-300 WB and wait 5 minutes between range shots. I go to the range at daybreak to avoid heat, mirage and wind.

Worst case --- remage barrels are cheap.

yup. exactly. Cut-rifled barrels like Brux, Bartlein , etc are preferrable to button rifled. Send them your old barrel and they can duplicate its profile if you are keeping the stock. If this is a BDL you'll probably want to keep it looking stock cuz they are nice looking.
If this is your hunting rifle, pick the length that gives you the balance you like. You give up a little speed (<100 fps) in a 26 vs 24 inch, but gain comfort. One is not more accurate than the other.
What is most important is the twist. A 1 in 8 twist is necessary to stabilize the nice high BC bullets like Hornady's 143 gr ELD-X or Nosler's 142 ABLR (my choice). You can stabilize higher weights, also.

Practically nobody makes decent factory ammo, so if you don't reload, find a vendor like Colorado Custom Cartridge, Buy a couple of boxes of factory ammo, go target practice, sight your scope, get a feel. .... then send them the fireformed brass to be reloaded. If your smith has put your custom barrel on a trued action, you will have a serious shooter, sub-MOA, that reaches out to your target with high lethal effectiveness... and not much recoil. It is a wonderful caliber, capable of taking anything you want in the States Enjoy the ride and save the old barrel for posterity.

Buy it, shoot it, THEN decide if you need to rebarrel it, I bet you won't have to.
I say this from experience, I too had a yearning for a 264 win mag, paid way more then I should have, and it didn't shoot worth a hoot, put it in another factory 700 stock, and it shoots MUCH better then me. There aren't that many 6.5 bullets over 140 gr. That it would justify a new barrel for more twist and 2 more inches Or maybe another 60 FPS, the game will never know it and neither will the shooter. We all want as much as we can in our favor when we pull the trigger, but for a all around hunting rifle you reach the point of diminishing returns, just enjoy that rifle, and spend you money on things that will get you more time behind the trigger, that will make you a better shooter and that's what it's all about.

WELL SAID ! The 2 I have owned had stainless barrels and would last the normal hunter a lifetime. Rapid fire in hot weather is a kiss of death for any magnum.
I use a barrel cooling blower in my 6.5-300 WB and wait 5 minutes between range shots. I go to the range at daybreak to avoid heat, mirage and wind.

Worst case --- remage barrels are cheap.

That is sage advice.

I've never used a barrel cooler and dont spend a lot of time at the range in TX-summer. The last 2 days I did were early morning in June and August. Sun was too low for the chrony to work but I was testing seating depth in 2 rifles so didn't need it. I quit before the temp hit 82F.

I usually shoot 2 then remove the bolt so the breeze can pass thru and wait at least 3 minutes between subsequent shots. I use the old fashioned hand on the barrel temp gauge. Mostly because I dont want to have any more gear.

I would get it. I bought 9 of the 700 classic when Remington offered in 86.
It is still the rifle I can depend on today.
Kahles 3-12 x56 on it , Timney trigger on stock rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.