Win M70 264 wm owners

DJ Fergus

I have four custom rifles and more factory rifles and I'm just wanting to try another factory rifle right now with a classic look. Will probably stay in the safe more than my other work horses. Thinking about buying a new blued wood stock Sporter M70 264 win mag. I know they only have 9 twist but I figure it will do fine with a 130gr. Any one with experience with one of the M70 264s? I had a New Haven m70 270 that shot great.

Yes, the 9" twist stabilizes 142gr ABLR no problem.
My Model 70 is a switch barrel affair, next barrel will be 8" twist.

Good choice in rifle choice.

Cheers.

Yes, the 9" twist stabilizes 142gr ABLR no problem.
My Model 70 is a switch barrel affair, next barrel will be 8" twist.

Good choice in rifle choice.

Cheers.
I just re-read my post, the second choice in there is totally redundant, my apologies for slacking off and not proof reading before posting.

Cheers.

I'm interested in this also. Been looking for awhile. This is what I narrowed it down to( 264wm 26" sporter), but would like some first hand experience.

I have four custom rifles and more factory rifles and I'm just wanting to try another factory rifle right now with a classic look. Will probably stay in the safe more than my other work horses. Thinking about buying a new blued wood stock Sporter M70 264 win mag. I know they only have 9 twist but I figure it will do fine with a 130gr. Any one with experience with one of the M70 264s? I had a New Haven m70 270 that shot great.

The nine will run 140gr conventional bullets and 130gr mon's just fine.

If I were doing it I'd either just order a Montana X2 or pick up a cheap used Model 70 and have a semi custom built off of it with a rebarrel and having the action trued.

Doing that you could get a 1:8.5 or 1:8 and never have to worry again.

The 6.5's really seem to shine in the field running the 140-160gr class bullets.

Maybe not the response you're looking for but my most accurate rifle. Purchased new but never shot it in factory condition. Rebarreled w/ Bartlien 3B 8 twist 5R 26", trigger, bedded, etc.. M70 EW. 264WM and 156 EOL w/ N570 were made for each other.

My current go to rifle is a model 70 264 win mag from 1979. I shoot nosler 130 accubond factory loads. It shoots well under 1" @ 200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.