Question on short mag feeding

All the Blackburn bottom metal and follower will do is allow 3 'down' instead of the 2 that most Mauser magazines will, and give you a hinged floor plate with an 'in the bow' release. The Mauser feeds "off the rails", that's where the alterations need to take place, and the feed ramp, too. The radius on the under side of the feed rails may need to be increased to allow for the larger diameter cartridges. There are no feed lips on a Mauser magazine to tweak. The OP didn't specify if his actions were 'commercial' '98s, or military, just "custom" ,,, which covers a wide swath.
Shortgrass got it correct - with the addition of finding a way to keep the cartridge to the front of the magazine & shortening the follower. Will not be a simple task!

Shortgrass got it correct - with the addition of finding a way to keep the cartridge to the front of the magazine & shortening the follower. Will not be a simple task!

If you read the snotty response above you'll see I was corrected. Forgot these were fed via the action vs a mag. I've been around a few conversion with a mag and didn't even think about the original design. Clearly stepped on some toes and only meant to help.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound "snotty". Just didn't understand what you were referring to.

Its unfortunate this happened to the O.P, its really unfortunate his smith didn't warn him of the problem in the beginning.
Yes, unfortunate, but some smiths will try to do anything you ask for.

I made the same mistake on my first "varmint" gun when I was a teenager. Had a Mauser '98 and had a 22-250 barrel installed. If the magazine was stacked perfectly & all rounds pushed forward as far as possible it would feed a few rounds. But the recoil would tend to push then toward the rear of the follower; then it became a single shot bolt gun, or very unpredictable.

Yes, unfortunate, but some smiths will try to do anything you ask for.

I made the same mistake on my first "varmint" gun when I was a teenager. Had a Mauser '98 and had a 22-250 barrel installed. If the magazine was stacked perfectly & all rounds pushed forward as far as possible it would feed a few rounds. But the recoil would tend to push then toward the rear of the follower; then it became a single shot bolt gun, or very unpredictable.
Thats fine as long as they explain the short comings then its customers choice.
I'm not sure if the O.P. was explained to him the feeding problems that could occur, if there was then its on him

My first 6.5x300wsm was built on a 77 tanger 7 mag that my smith explained to me what he was gonna have to do to get it to feed then I agreed. But atleast he told me up front and was confident in his ability and it did just fine.
He had to work on the ramp, lips and follower.

My first 6.5x300wsm was built on a 77 tanger 7 mag that my smith explained to me what he was gonna have to do to get it to feed then I agreed. But atleast he told me up front and was confident in his ability and it did just fine.
He had to work on the ramp, lips and follower.
Yup, it takes a talented GS to know how to modify the feed rails for a larger round or a rimmed round. If you remove too much in the wrong place, your screwed.

Last edited:
Get this rifle to a real gunsmith! I would bet Dennis Olson of Plains, MT could make it feed. I'm sure there are others. This is just a hard gunsmithing problem. Not the plug and play of many builds.