Question on short mag feeding

moetzmoe

I have 2 custom magnum mauser action rifles...1 was chambered in a wildcat 30/338 a d the other in a wildcat 6.5/257 wetherbyy. I rebarreleb both to the 300wsm and the other to the6.5 wsm. Now neither of these rifles will feed correctly at all. Does anyone have any ideas on how can I correct these issues
Both are my 2 favorite hunting rifles. Thanks for any help!!

I have an idea! get yourself the needed files and stones and have at it! There is no "drop-in" solution for this problem. Swift Bullets makes Blackburn bottom metal and followers for the WSM cartridges for Mauser '98s. I have been working with Mauser '98s since the late '70s and I would not even think about barreling a '98 to any WSM, I could never get honestly paid for the time invested to make it feed reliably. I have seen exactly 1 Mauser '98 that fed, that was a .300WSM done by a gunsmith (in training) in the Tulsa area. I spoke over the phone with the gunsmith that was doing the 'training'. He sounded quit unhappy with his apprentice for barreling a Mauser '98 to .300WSM. Feed issues rarely get 'fixed' on the interdnet. It takes hands on by a 'real' gunsmith that can , and does work with feeding issues. It can be very time consuming!!! Not much help, but that is the reality of this dilemma.

There is a good probability of feeding issues with any round with a shoulder greater than 30 degrees with a short case, and the smaller the caliber the worse it gets. Both of your rounds qualify. Its a simple geometry problem. You will need a good gunsmith; some won't even deal with it. Not sure the 6.5WSM ever will.

Yes thats true, but my comment was directed more towards the cartridges that have a shoulder steeper than 30 deg not feeding which is not true. My safe full of guns had more with 35 and 40 and every single one will feed.
There is some actions and cartridges that won't though and the correct bottom metal cures some action problems.

All the Blackburn bottom metal and follower will do is allow 3 'down' instead of the 2 that most Mauser magazines will, and give you a hinged floor plate with an 'in the bow' release. The Mauser feeds "off the rails", that's where the alterations need to take place, and the feed ramp, too. The radius on the under side of the feed rails may need to be increased to allow for the larger diameter cartridges. There are no feed lips on a Mauser magazine to tweak. The OP didn't specify if his actions were 'commercial' '98s, or military, just "custom" ,,, which covers a wide swath.

There is a good probability of feeding issues with any round with a shoulder greater than 30 degrees with a short case, and the smaller the caliber the worse it gets. Both of your rounds qualify. Its a simple geometry problem. You will need a good gunsmith; some won't even deal with it. Not sure the 6.5WSM ever will.
I sure don't agree with this. Maybe if you quantify it with "in a Mauser long action".

I have/had 15 rifles with 30-40° shoulders that feed smooth as snot on a glass doorknob. Both BDL and DBM. Including a bunch of short fat cases like 25SST, four different 6.5SSs, 7SS. .250AI, .260AI too.

Does anyone have any ideas on how can I correct these issues

The answer to your question is actually very simple.

No, there is nothing that you personally can do to correct any of the issues you're having with feeding these two cartridges in the actions you have used. You are obviously not qualified to perform the tasks required and you don't understand the process of fitting and feeding cartridges from a magazine.

This is not a DIY project.

You need to have a qualified gunsmith who has solved these problems before and understands all of the facets for feeding short, fat cartridges.

Bear in mind that this is not going to be an inexpensive fix. It will take some shop time and machine time. But it can be solved and it will work when the proper gunsmith with the expertise is chosen.

Or you can forego these barrels and move on to cartridges better suited to using these actions and magazines.

Live and learn.

;)

BUY,. Single Stack, Magazine,.. TIKKA'S
They Feed, ALL, the Fat, WSM's,.. PERFECTLY !
Wasting time with,.. what, you got ,. IMO
I'd un-screw, the Barrels and sell everything for, Parts !

Bend the feed lips is the mag. Make sure the back of the mag is open enough so the bolt catches properly. Front is open enough to tip the cartridge up slightly so the bullet is pointing toward the chamber.
I don't see any 'lips' on this Mauser magazine/trigger guard assembly, do you? That's because t
trigger guard mag box - Copy.jpg
here are no lips on a Mauser '98 magazine!