Question for you seasoned Yote hunters.

MI.264

I'm going to start hunting Coyotes here in Michigan next month.
But I need to know a few things before doing so.

1. Hide preparation, as in how soon, do you need to skin them
2. prepping, ie... fleshing stretching curing ect..

Do some of you guys skin them, then roll them into a plastic bag and put into the freezer to flesh them at a latter date.
Or skin them, flesh them.

So my wanting to know this is so that I wouldn't shoot to many coyotes in one day that I couldn't care for, hence forth going to waste. The last thing I want to do.
Thanks in advance.

Couple quick things,

No problem with the idea of skinning, rolling them and stuffing them in a plastic bag and throwing them in the deep freeze.

Do not, drape them over your shoulder on the way back to the truck...

Soon as I can I toss the whole critter in a trash bag and hit both sides really hard with flea killer spray. By the time I get home and to skinning it's normally fine.

By mid next month you will want to look at their hips, especially if you have much snow and ice, for fur damage called breaking. They will set on the snow and ice then the longer guard hairs freeze to the ice and snow when they get up it pulls some out or breaks it off causing a spot with short fur. If you have a lot of snow with sunny days, the sun will reflect off of it and cause the tips of the fur on their bellies and sides to curl called singing. A lot depends on the weather conditions as to how long you can wait to skin generally speaking, they skin easier when they are still warm, if it's cold out and they aren't left in the sun on a black surface they will be okay for all day, if it's really cold they will freeze and make skinning harder. If it's sunny and warm say 40's or 50's out of the sun they will be okay till you get home, if they are laying in the sun on a black surface, they will start to swell but should be okay for several hours, before their bellies turn green and smell bad. If you are going to drag them behind, you from your calling stand to your vehicle get a boot lace 24" long or maybe 36" long make a slip knot in one end tie it around a stick or similar object, for a handle, make a slip knot in the other end to slip over their top canines and use that to drag them behind you always drag any animals with the lay of the hair or fur so it doesn't break it or add resistance to them sliding behind you on the grass or leaves.

My skin prep is as follows:
1. Shoot coyote
2. Take photos (if close enough)
3. Move on to next coyote
4. Repeat.

AZ does not usually have great hair on dogs...I do it as pest control. Every opportunity I get.
20230702_142412.jpg

Thanks everyone.. I appreciate the input.
No dragging, at least where I'll start hunting Coyotes from.
Most thing I was worried about was the green belly hide issue.

Mainly let's me know how many Coyotes I can bag without any concern.

Again, I appreciate the help.