Shotgun for Yote question

royinidaho

Before the leaves drop I have a hankerin' to walk and stalk some local yotes in heavy grass, sage brush, russian olive thickets and river bottom. Pretty thick walking. If one strolls quite slowly shooting opportunities present themselves.

Shots are usually very close. I looked at some pump and semi auto shotguns this afternoon. There seems to be a good selection of reasonably priced pumps and semis.

The reason for looking is that my trusty old Ithaca 51 is a 2 3/4 chamber and I figured I couldn't get enough large shot in there to do the job.

But I snagged some Federal Power Shok #4 buck (27 pellets) @ 1325 FPS.

What's the odds of success at what distances?

Thanks in advance.

Roy, I am born and raised in Iowa and have owned hundreds of coyote hounds. Yes, as many as 58 at one time counting pups. Anyway I spent a lot of time chasing yotes. At times we chose to use shotguns to end a chase in the woods or for a quick road crossing. With a full choked 12 ga and 00 buck or #2 buck I have seen many roll out to 80 yards. Some guys claimed out to 100 or 125 yards but I can only testify to the ones I shot at 80 yards.:D

I would think the #4 buck would do just as good. Now if you find you need to get a bit closer. I would get a good hound.

Jeff

scan0025.jpg

Heck of a deal! Pretty amazing......

I brought a pair of Catahoulas from LA years ago. 1 really great one and one dink. However they turned out some great pups about a dozen at a time.:rolleyes:

I herded cattle and sheep. Treed coon and feral house cats.

They sure hated yotes. Went out one spring when the dogs were super out of shape. The female went home. The male pooped out as did the yote. I had no gun at the time and the yote could walk enough to keep away from me and the dog layed down every time I stopped.

Never chased yotes seriously though.

We'll see on the shot.

Thanks

Jeff, What part of IOWA are ya from, I'm originally from Eddyville, and spent the better part of my life running hounds of sorts, mostly beagles.

Jeff, What part of IOWA are ya from, I'm originally from Eddyville, and spent the better part of my life running hounds of sorts, mostly beagles.

LOL, small world! I use to spend every Sat. night at Eddyville. :D

And I have also ran huonds north east of town with an old hunting buddy from up by Osky, Justin Adams. If you ran Beagles you might know another of my friends Jeremy Baily.

Anyway, to answer your question... I had a couple farms 12 miles south of Pella.

Jeff

LOL, small world! I use to spend every Sat. night at Eddyville. :D

And I have also ran huonds north east of town with an old hunting buddy from up by Osky, Justin Adams. If you ran Beagles you might know another of my friends Jeremy Baily.

Anyway, to answer your question... I had a couple farms 12 miles south of Pella.

Jeff

Ya I know Piller, may have also drank a few beers with him also. Ran with Baily once when they was tring to get their UKC charter for Beagles over in Bussy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.