question for those of you who use a lee factory crimp die

Tac-O

I use a Lee FCD on all of my reloads. I'm reloading for a .30-06. I don't anneal at all and never go passed 4 total firings on my brass.

So my question is, for those of you that use a lee FCD and also don't anneal, have you measured the speeds of your loads through 3 or 4 firings on your brass?

I don't have a chrono, so I've been wondering if the hardening of my brass necks through the 4 firings is enough to negate the benefit of the lee FCD reducing ES in speeds.

I have not seen any measurable differences in any of my own loads pard. I also crimp everything, hard too! ha But I mainly use Barnes or Partitions and I don't anneal either. Of course, I have to add that I am not a LRH. At my limit, I can't tell any diff in zero/trajectory. LRH guys will see it better ( if its there) on way out there paper. Good luck to you! :)

I have not seen any measurable differences in any of my own loads pard. I also crimp everything, hard too! ha But I mainly use Barnes or Partitions and I don't anneal either. Of course, I have to add that I am not a LRH. At my limit, I can't tell any diff in zero/trajectory. LRH guys will see it better ( if its there) on way out there paper. Good luck to you! :)

Thanks for the info!!

I have no plans to hunt farther than 500 yards, so ES shouldn't be a big issue. But I was thinking about speeds just as an indicator for inconsistent pressure upon ignition, which could decrease accuracy.

I'm hoping for some validation that I don't need to start annealing as long as I'm crimping and not shooting passed 400-500.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts