Lee Factory Crimp Die, correct location of crimp

Yes, all cases are trimmed to length with the Lee case length gauge and I trim every time. I also attempt to trim then even when brand new, just in case there are some outlier long ones.

Here is the information straight from Lee:

"The width of the crimp that the collet style factory crimp die for rifles applies will be about .040" wide on a case that is at the maximum trim length for the cartridge case. For any trim length shorter than the maximum the crimp width will diminish by that same amount. In other words if the trim length of your 7mm-08 cases was at maximum and the length of your 30-06 cases were .010" below max the width of the crimp on the 7mm case would be about .040" and the width of the crimp on the 06 would be about .030".

A crimp that is .020" wide or even a little narrower is sufficient to hold the bullet firmly in the case."

So, yes of course the trim length matters just like everyone stated. Someone also mentioned the shellholder!!!

I think I may have something wrong with my FCD for my 7mm08. The collet portion of the die is loose inside the outer portion and probably has about 0.10 or 0.20" of play up and down. According to what he says about the crimp being 0.040 wide at max trim length, the crimp on my 7mm08 cartridges should be barely there on brand new brass that isn't long enough to be trimmed. But the crimp marks go pretty far below the mouth. There's something weird going on there.

I'll have to take some pictures of each cartridge when I get home this evening as well as take some measurements to verify it's working correctly.

Thanks everyone for your awesome input. I'll update with some pictures and any more information I get from Lee will be shared.

Keep in mind crimping causes higher pressure. You will not be able to use standard loading manuals max in most cases. Using a light crimp I had to drop .5 grain for same pressure and FPS.

I guess there'
Keep in mind crimping causes higher pressure. You will not be able to use standard loading manuals max in most cases. Using a light crimp I had to drop .5 grain for same pressure and FPS.

I would assume it would be similar to seating your bullet against the lands, right?

Ok guys, please bear with a dumb question here: is the Lee FCD the same as the Lee collet die everyone recommends? I had it in my head that they were two different animals. I have the FCD for every caliber I load (it's probably wasted on some of the pistol rounds), but thought the collet die was something else that I needed to learn about.

Thanks for any info.

Ok guys, please bear with a dumb question here: is the Lee FCD the same as the Lee collet die everyone recommends? I had it in my head that they were two different animals. I have the FCD for every caliber I load (it's probably wasted on some of the pistol rounds), but thought the collet die was something else that I needed to learn about.

Thanks for any info.

I'm not sure, but I think "collet die" might be referring to their neck sizing collet die.

I'm not sure, but I think "collet die" might be referring to their neck sizing collet die.
Lee, does make an excellent neck size only, collet die, and the FCD, is also a collet crimper. Lee has learned how to make the collet work in their processes . The collet resizer is amazing, and really helps with runout. I just loaded some 7-08 ammo, and I used both. Resized with collet resizer, charged, seated bullets with comp seater, then used Factory Crimp Die to finish.
FWIW, their seater dies are also very good.

Last edited:
I have used many different caliber Lee Factory Crimp Dies. With them all you need to leave your case trim to length 3 to 4 thousands longer than what the book says to trim too. That will give you enough case to actually put a crimp on.

Thanks for any info.
As I just explained in the other response, they are both using collects, one is for neck sizing, and that die has a lot of potential. You can actually adjust your own neck tension, or. You can buy another undersize mandrel, that Lee makes as well. A member here recommended the FCD, to me years ago, I'm hooked. I'm not a Lee salesman, or rep, and I own and use multiple other brands and types of dies, but I can tell you that without any bit of exaggeration, that some of my my most accurate rounds, came from something loaded with a Lee die in the process. One caliber I load for, is with the Ultimate die set, and the gun shoots 1/4 minute groups.
Had a 7mm mag years ago, that would shoot .1's @ 200 yds, using Lee neck size collets. Just saying!
Loaded some rounds tonite with Lee seater, Dead length dies. Awesome!

Lee, does make an excellent neck size only, collet die, and the FCD, is also a collet crimper. Lee has learned how to make the collet work in their processes . The collet resizer is amazing, and really helps with runout. I just loaded some 7-08 ammo, and I used both. Resized with collet resizer, charged, seated bullets with comp seater, then used Factory Crimp Die to finish.
FWIW, their seater dies are also very good.

I like your love of Lee's dies! I don't have a runout gauge for my rounds, so I will usually roll them on a stainless table and just make a note of which ones have noticeable runout.

I use their hand press and my process is:
- decap with decapper
- FL size with no more than .002" shoulder bump
- trim, chamfer, debur
- charge and seat bullet

When I do have noticeable runout, I have no idea what causes it. I know I'd be able to improve that greatly using the neck collet die. Any suggestions for where mine might be coming from?

I still need to get some measurements on my FCDs. The customer service rep said I can measure the length of the inner portion of the FCD and he'd be able to tell me if it should be crimping correctly based on that length.

I like your love of Lee's dies! I don't have a runout gauge for my rounds, so I will usually roll them on a stainless table and just make a note of which ones have noticeable runout.

I use their hand press and my process is:
- decap with decapper
- FL size with no more than .002" shoulder bump
- trim, chamfer, debur
- charge and seat bullet

When I do have noticeable runout, I have no idea what causes it. I know I'd be able to improve that greatly using the neck collet die. Any suggestions for where mine might be coming from?
More then likely. Its your resizing operation. Sometimes, as the expander ball rides through the neck, it pulls it to one side, or the other. Lubing inside of neck helps greatly, if you are not doing so. Also, clean inside your die. Build up could, and it has happened to me, distort case, while in die.

More then likely. Its your resizing operation. Sometimes, as the expander ball rides through the neck, it pulls it to one side, or the other. Lubing inside of neck helps greatly, if you are not doing so. Also, clean inside your die. Build up could, and it has happened to me, distort case, while in die.

I use a tiny bit of Lee case lube on my case mouth brush, so I'm probably not lubing each case the same because I only apply it once.

I've been wondering about the lube build up inside the case. I'll have to clean it out and see what happens.

Another question: their instructions for using the gasket lock ring says 'finger tight'. I make mine finger tight but I do actually have the ring bottoming out on the quick change bushing. I've been wondering if it matters if it's bottomed out or not. I read somewhere something about the die benefiting from the slight give from the oring because it helps the die self center.

Good tip on leaving the rifle brass a bit longer before using the FCD. The only rounds I don't run through the FCD are .44 mag, .45 ACP and .45 LC loaded with hard cast bullets, because the die can reduce the diameter to a point where they can cause leading. At least that's what I was told, as well as the idea that post-sizing lead can screw up neck tension on the loaded round; so I only use the FCD on rounds loaded with FMJ or plated bullets.

Lee does make those same dies without the carbide post-sizing ring, calling them "collet style FCD's" and I need to look into those.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.